View Single Post
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Jun 5, 2009, 08:11 PM
I'm curious how important we consider balance when it comes to levels, ctf levels especially. There are a few levels that would be so good if there are adjustments, like replacing or moving a +1 carrot, a powerup being placed somewhere else, or even a slight layout adjustment. Small things can matter a lot, especially in a 2d game such as this. However lots...actually scratch that, MOST popular levels are imbalanced. I can think of one reasonably balanced popular level at this moment, and that is sbv2. Even sbv2 isn't as popular as some other levels. In the past, I considered balance to be important, but there was very little chance of having your levels played, and level making was more of an art, so I made stuff for fun, and I didn't put too much focus on making balanced levels. Completely symmetrical ctf levels were (still is?) considered boring, and making them was discouraged. I find symmetrical layouts boring if they aren't designed in some way I consider interesting. There's another way I know to make balanced ctf levels, which is making the bases accessible at one point with teams using the same spawns . I'm not sure if ctf levels that use non-symmetrical layouts can be truly balanced. Admittedly, unbalanced levels can be more fun than balanced levels, but the fun is because it's easier to exploit the imbalance and dominate your opponent(s).

Last edited by FireSworD; Feb 19, 2016 at 08:46 PM.