View Single Post

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Aug 12, 2013, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Plusbutterfly.j2l is also bugged. The boss doesn't work, no matter what difficulty you select. Infact, I even thought for a few months there was supposed to be no boss, until I questioned it and checked the level in JCS. Sometimes the rocket turtle doesn't appear at all, or start in the wall and fly out of the map completely forever. gg.
This sounds very much like the original, buggy way the Rocket Turtle used to 'work'. You didn't perhaps use Save & Run without first editing your JCS.ini with the Plus additions, right? Otherwise you've just solved your own bug report: the level gets corrupted if you save it in JCS without the right JCS.ini additions in place. Try a redownload of the level and play it from the HCL list, see if that solves it for you. If it does, read this to find out what you need to do if you want to edit the level in JCS (or if you just want to use Save & Run). If it still doesn't work, please report back.

Quote:
I still would like to see a feature that stops the person from cycling if the level doesn't have a start pos. It is annoying only to have your server crash just because someone forgot to put a start pos, which is a common thing levelmakers forget to put. Some public console message like "ERROR: Cannot cycle, no start position found!".
This would require JJ2 to load the new level without unloading the previous one, which is technically a bit hellish (though not impossible, I must say). I'd rather solve this by simply not crashing if there are no start positions. It's a lot simpler to do. JJ2 doesn't crash in single player either; I figure we could just make that behaviour the default in online games too.

Quote:
Likewise, stopping players from cycling to a cache level if no tileset is found would help too. I can understand it's not much relevant to the plus devs, because they don't host and play online much, though for a host that is looking through their cache folder to find a level, it helps a lot. I have to rehost constantly sometimes just because I don't have a tileset in the main folder. It would stop them from cycling and display a message like "ERROR: (tileset).j2t not found in main folder." At the moment, I have to go through the process of copying the j2l to my main folder, then checking the missing tileset in JCS and then having to paste the j2t into my main folder. Which is tedious (even moreso when the level is passworded).
I remember having had a chat about this with Violet and cooba; I figure we could include the cache folder when searching for j2l's, j2t's and j2as files, if the root didn't contain the required file.

Quote:
There's a way to find what the music and level file is, but not the tileset. Being able to know what the tileset file is would allow me to extract it from my cache (so I can play it through a level cache, or even just wanting the level in my main folder) would be a lot easier, otherwise I have to do the tedious JCS cache method (as explained above).
Hmm, a "current level details" command or so of some sort would do the trick. Maybe eventually. But if I'm not mistaken, don't we have standalone tools that do this already?

Quote:
There are more bugs I know that you guys probably don't know about, but most of them are insignificant (mainly pallette and animation errors) and don't affect gameplay much, or are too cool to fix (I'm using it for a sp level, and it's very unlikely you'll make the bug happen by accident anyway).
It's always good to report or tell about the bugs you know about, even if it's just for expressing the coolness of them... you're making me curious! There are already some bugs that don't get fixed because they are considered cool or useful, so don't worry- we won't break your level. But please share your knowledge!