View Single Post

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

May 14, 2007, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neobeo View Post
Highlight block to show spoiler: JCS was most likely programmed in C/C++, so it uses null-terminated C-strings. These strings are referenced as a pointer. These pointers are referenced by some ASM instruction. These ASM instructions are contained inside some well-defined function. These functions would be collectively grouped inside some section of code. The offsets of these code sections would be specified inside the PE section table. The PE section table can be found without too much effort by reading the PE header. The PE header is near the start of the EXE file. So, as long as you have an EXE file, you can work backwards through these steps, and change the ASM instruction to point to another string in another location.
I understood all of this (yes, I'm surprised too) but I have no idea how I will find these instructions ;p Oh well, I'll just stick with 'JCS' for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neobeo View Post
My sentiments exactly. In fact this process can be automated via a J2L cruncher. You can use one to process the Data2 stream (events) to produce a list of all events being used. Maybe even one step further is to filter out bitmasks that are being used for each event ID. This way you won't need the clearest possible overview, but you'll have a thorough list which does not miss out anything.
You got one? That'll help a lot ;p

EDIT: a whole lot