View Single Post

JCF Member

Simon is doing well so far

Apr 22, 2021, 05:29 AM
GOG's Jazz 1.3: Fix maps for 100% enemies/treasures

New thread, to separate the sprawling 100%-ability research from GOG's Jazz 1.3: Fix bugs, add Versions. It's possible that we postpone 100%-ability for a separate patch.

Known problem levels in Jazz 1.3:
  • Tubelectric 2: Uncollectable out-of-bounds treasure near top, 80 % to the right that is nonetheless necessary to achieve 100%.
  • Nippius 2: Love & Thunder's research says that there are >= 3 uncollectable cones near end of map, plus maybe uncollectable treasures in the early spring shaft. Needs more research.
  • Battleships 2: Two paths that both eventually prevent backtracking. With complex tech, you can get more than intended from either side, see image below. Needs discussion.
  • Maybe Deserto 2, haven't researched yet. Possible interaction of lizard-spawning sparkles with the 100% enemy counter?

See also: Full atlas map of Battleships 2.

This is Battleships 2. I've drawn the two paths with their entries (yellow L, yellow R) and subsequent exclusive zones, which I'll call LEZ and REZ, marked by yellow boxes.

Before the R, you can backtrack. You can jump at least 4 blocks high where I wrote "Jump possible". You can damage-boost off the rightmost generator's fireball to ascend even 5 blocks high where I wrote "Damage boost possible". This makes the REZ really small.

Thus, what do we even mean by 100% in Battleships 2? Do we require elaborate backtracking with the damage boost? It's not hard, but you must leave that one generator alive, so it's unobvious.

What does the score counter do/print when we kill/collect more than the hardcoded 100% value for a level? It's certainly possible that we overlook such tech.

More tech: In the bottom-right-hand corner of the LEZ, there is a generator. You can kill this generator even when you choose the right path (i.e., you just came through REZ). Jazz can stick himself deep enough in the left wall to shoot RF-Missiles through the wall, killing the generator on the far side, inside the LEZ. (This is not an issue in Battleships 2 if we expect the player to pick the left path for 100%.)

-- Simon

Last edited by Simon; Apr 22, 2021 at 05:58 AM.