View Single Post
Neobeo

JCF Member

Neobeo is an asset to this forumNeobeo is an asset to this forum

May 13, 2007, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmoo View Post
i think something like private messaging to certain players would be cool and not so difficult from the server end. the server just chooses the socket ID to send the packet out to and that's it. Make it something like if you want to PM player 7 and you're player 1, press "t" and type "/7 (message)" without quotes or parenthesis
This isn't too difficult. In fact this could also work with clients PM-ing other players.

Quote:
i also think (a more difficult feat) would be the ability to host under a different port for router users who aren't allowed to open up 10053 for jj2. The reason this would be difficult is because it would be nice if the receiving end didn't require a "PortPatch" to join. Uh this i kno is possible but i'm too tired to think of how since it's 3:30am sunday morning.
From the server's point of view, this is much easier to implement than the idea above. And there is no way for the client to join other ports without some kind of patch since the value 10052 is hardcoded.

Quote:
Another not so easy feature would be the ability for 33+ players to join. Don't ask i don't know how that would be done.
This is not possible, for various reasons such as the range-checking done by clients, and the fact that memory is allocated just enough for 32 players.

Quote:
Another semi-difficult would be the ability to only allow a user inputted number of downloaders at a time to prevent flooding/crashing.
I don't see a link between downloading and crashing, but in any case this is a pretty trivial follow-up. It appears this is a bug in the way Jazz2.exe handles downloading. This should not happen in a properly designed server. Nevertheless, there will probably be options to limit the bandwidth usage and stuff.

Quote:
As a console app i would like it to not operate on strictly command lines because that's too confusing. Make it start up

"Welcome to Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Dedicated Server"
"Please input your gametype (ctf, battle, treasure, coop, or race)
"please input the maximum player number"
"Load custom game mode? (1=true, 0=false)"
[if true] "Please type in the custom game mode you would like to load (i don't know)"
"Log chat (1=true, 0=false)"
"Allow Private Messaging "
"number of hearts"
"number of kills to win"
"server name"
"at this time please type in the file names of any plugins you'd like to load at this time or press enter to start"
"plugin serversync.dll loaded"
"server running"
That would defeat the whole idea of it being a command line program. Ideally, it should just start without requiring the user to further input any information. This would most likely be done with the combination of command-line and an INI file.

And aside from all that, custom game modes (or even the official ones) will be converted to "profiles" which contain, at the minimum, the base game mode, and some sort of script.
Neobeo's Firetruck

</TD><TD>Myths:
Jazz Creation Station Plus (JCS+) - 10%
Coming soon - a dedicated server! - 25%
Jazz Sprite Dynamite v2 (JSDv2) - 2%
Another generic single-player level - 0%
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Last edited by Neobeo; May 13, 2007 at 05:04 AM. Reason: download lag bug