View Single Post

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jun 23, 2007, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neobeo View Post
Well, seeing as the last post I made here was 6 weeks ago, I dare say I'm overdue for an official project status update. I probably should have for another 4 replies or so, so that this would at the top of a new page. Nevertheless, here are the current list of features.
The first one to post on a new page must quote your post! =D ;p

Quote:
Currently codenamed azure moon, the official name is still not being made known yet.
I've always liked that codename. If you don't have a name yet, stop thinking. It's a really nice name.

Quote:
The official scripting language to be used with this project is Lua. Support for DLL plugin has been considered, but will probably not be added until the later stages. The scripting language, for maximum flexibility, has been designed to intercept events, such as onRoast, onChat, onJoin, onCapture. As such, Lua was chosen because it will be easy for beginners to pick up. Ideally, each gamemode would run as its own .lua file.

Commands will act as functions, and can be handled globally or locally. Examples of the former are "/kick", "/n", or "/instagib on". These are functions which, when you call, will be handled internally by the server so you don't really need to know how they work. You can also define your own function, such as defining "/spaztagib" to be "player.health = 1; if player.character = jazz then kick player". (That was pseudocode though, and doesn't reflect what Lua actually looks like).
Sounds good. A scripting code that's easy to pick up is a very good choice indeed.

Quote:
The final issue is, as much as I'd like to make this project open source, plenty of obstacles have popped up along the way making the opensourceness of this project a very controversial decision. Said discussion is still being held by the board of directors. As at time of publishing this project is still closed source.
Just keep it closed source, unless you are going to do what Epic did with Jazz. If you make it opensource you get all kinds of incompatible edits which is not very useful.

Quote:
Finally, time for the Q&A:
  1. The dedicated server will run entirely on console. For those who have used console, this decision will be an easy one to support since it calls for much more effective and efficient means of modifying the server. If you really need a GUI, there might be a possibility of creating one from the script.
  2. Minimizing the console to the system tray is trivial, and doesn't require a plugin. However, it could be modified with the scripting language.
  3. I really never intended this to work with PHP or Flash. However, the plugin system is flexible. If you could get them to communicate with the server by means of DLL or otherwise, then be my guest.
Heh, lemme try to make a link with PHP. That'll really improve my PHP skills as well for sure, though it won't be easy =)