View Single Post
Cataphract

JCF Member

Cataphract is doing well so far

Jun 25, 2007, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neobeo View Post
The final issue is, as much as I'd like to make this project open source, plenty of obstacles have popped up along the way making the opensourceness of this project a very controversial decision. Said discussion is still being held by the board of directors. As at time of publishing this project is still closed source.
Hum? Obstacles? The only valid reasons I can think right now for making a program not free is if 1) one has licensed code from a third party and wasn't given permission to disclose it or 2) the business model depends upon it.

I hope it's not some silly objection such as Jerrythabest's or something like "it'll make it easier for someone to write an exploit and run arbitrary code on the clients".

It's not like there are many skilled programmers in this community that would benefit from making the program free, but it would probably be a good incentive to attract more people -- it's not just the stand-alone server program, anyone would have access to the JJ2 protocol and a reference implementation of it. That certainly creates interesting possibilities.

It could also accelerate the development, since everyone would be able to contribute with patches.

So I hope the "board of directors" decides to release this under a free license.