View Single Post
Bobby aka Dizzy

(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)istrator

Bobby aka Dizzy is doing well so far

Apr 22, 2008, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
You'd be surprised how much of the weird tiny details can be figured out with a bit of ingenuity and a lot of spare time. I think weapon trajectories could be figured out with enough effort. Maybe they would still be a bit off, but most likely less than 10%.
I don't doubt that most of the weird details can be figured out but there are surely many many corner cases in the engine behavior that none of us have ever given too much thought. I'm skeptical that we would be able to achieve a valid server clone of the game and that the people involved would not become burned out of tracking down all of the details.

Perhaps more openness in reverse engineering the game would help the effort by allowing people to help and to start from the work of others rather than rederive everything. I'm not sure that the history we have of hiding our secrets in closed off hacking communities is for the best for making real progress anymore. (I don't think we'll have a rash of abused hacking tools if we give away information about the game as was the concern ~5/6(?) years ago when we started forming these groups)