View Single Post
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

Feb 11, 2008, 12:39 PM
Very well, there's nothing wrong with platformy designs, and I did not mean that his level was platformy, I just meant to try to avoid making platforms everywhere. Well, as having many platforms usually leads to open layouts or just very random layouts. But however, (btw I'm not implying that the level had pointless platforms) you should never make a platform that serves no purpose as it's just pointless. Imagine a CTF level (I'm not sure exactly what you like to see) with a bunch of platforms. I understand this is a platform game and I see where you are coming from, but you should always design a level in the best interest of what the level's purpose is, in most cases gameplay. Anyway, as I was saying, a CTF level with a bunch of platforms. The platforms should all link somehow and lead to different places rather than leading to dead ends or serving no purpose whatsoever. (again not implying your level)

I admit that I design many platforms in my levels but at the same time I make sure I dont do it pointlessly or too much. If I design a platform, it usually provides some form of strategic advantage over something else such as height to allow bouncers to bombard campers at base even just a powerup to just divert attention around the level (which can be done perfectly well with a solid layout (but this is besides the point(right?))).

I think you took one word or phrase and took it slightly seriously or the wrong way, as I do not think platformy levels are bad, look at BBlair for example, there are random platforms everywhere, but that does not make it a bad level. Some levels just are good like that, but it's easier to pull off solid layouts and they usually serve as more strategic layouts too as well as easy to learn as FS said.

On top of this, I generally prefer very solid layouts as do many others. Your way of responding to what I said may be correct, as I might not have needed to use the word "so" in my response which therefore led you to think I meant the level was too platformy, which then led to this very heated debated (olol heated). {dam, wrong brackets}.