View Single Post
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

Jul 2, 2009, 04:57 AM
How do you guys feel on camping? I really thought about it and I've concluded, various areas shouldn't be campable, such as full NRGs or +1 carrots or seeker powerups or whatever you want.

On the other hand, I think CTF doesn't play as fun if the base is too uncampy. It should be campy to some extent. This is because of the tactic of "R"ing and "RTS"ing. It's very annoying to be on 3 health but so easily vulnerable when you are at an advantageous position of being able to score, say if the enemy is at 1 health.

However this idea flips in terms of levels like Zaitox. In Zaitox, I find that you usually HAVE to take a hit in order to get past to the flag if there's a good camper/defender. I find this very irritating and since there is no counter, it means you either have to play two players to one, or take the hit and take that chance. However there are those ever so lucky occasions where the player can hit you back down and then by the time you get back up you're dead because you stopped blinking.

Personally, I find that levels with 3 routes into the base work best, because its often the case where you can defend at least two routes from one position. I think base areas can work in open spaces, but at the same time, can work in slightly more confined or limited areas too. While I like the idea of defense, I also like counter defense. I think levelmakers should strike a balance between the two, but probably skewing it slightly towards one or the other ever so slightly.