Thread: XBox buys Jazz
View Single Post

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Sep 13, 2002, 01:35 PM
XBox buys Jazz

At least, that's what would happen if Bill Gates got replaced by PC-Magazine's editor John C Dvorak. I quote:

Missing Strategies. Are there any gotchas or rabbits up Microsoft's sleeve? Unlike a lot of Microsoft's marketing efforts, which seem to stem from a monopolist's mentality of giving up too soon on an idea, I've always had the feeling that the game division at Microsoft was more aggressive. We'll see how long that lasts as the old-timers at HQ begin to meddle. Right now the marketing for Xbox seems adequate. One thing that is missing is the cute mascot for the box. Nintendo has Mario, Sony has Crash Bandicoot, and Sega still produces Sonic the Hedgehog games. 3DO never had a workable mascot and neither did many of the other even less successful companies in the gaming market. Is a missing mascot the kiss of death? I've always thought Microsoft should have partnered with Epyx, updated the cute Jazz Jackrabbit character, and adopted him for use as the mascot for Xbox. It's still a good idea.

More to be found over here. Thanks to my friend Lyris for bringing this up to me!