Thread: Project Carrot
View Single Post
Soulweaver

JCF Member

Soulweaver is an asset to this forum

May 23, 2013, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foly View Post
It's nice to see someone working on a jazz jackrabbit game. But like you said most projects have died so far. So far your video shows you've made quite some progress, so i hope you don't give up where others did! If you do succeed i also hope this can help to attract more players to jj2. But untill then, keep up the good work
Thank you I'm not planning to give up so don't worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComputer View Post
Keep it going! I Love this project to be finished.

I Have some questions...
It would support more colours at the tilesets? We now living at modern world and 8 bit colours are NOT ENOUGH!

It would possible to expand the tiles 1024 (4096 for TSF) limit? It looks too small and I love mixing 2 or more tilesets on 1 tileset.
I guess I have good news for you

Essentially, all the tileset conversion process shown in the video does is that it generates two PNG images: one for the tiles and one for the mask. Naturally, an original tileset can thus be made using PNG images as well. Since PC runs in full colour, there are no restrictions on available colours (and while I haven't tested it with anything else but fully opaque and transparent, other alpha channel transparency values should be supported out of the box as well). The mask image meanwhile works sort of like binary collision map (white or any pixel with full transparency is unmasked, everything else is masked). Tilesets are also not confined to being 10 tiles wide anymore; how this will be handled in the to-be level editor is yet to be seen.

The tile amount limit isn't nearly as strict anymore either. In theory, only the tileset image dimensions themselves limit the available number of tiles; the current temporary layer format I'm using allows up to 65536 static (first one still reserved for empty tile) and 65536 animated tiles, but that could be upped. Though, there's currently a yet unsolved graphics memory issue related to how SFML handles textures; i.e. large tilesets currently will fail to load on cheap GPUs because the image won't fit to a single texture vertically in their video memory. But if that is solved, then the max. tile amount can be raised significantly.