View Single Post
Nimrod

JCF Member

Nimrod has disabled reputation

Mar 17, 2008, 05:52 AM
Request: AB10 Hosting

Hello all,

As you know, Anniversary Bash 10 is fast approaching, and we have Stijn and PJ making a fantastic map pack which is sure to please all

We are now looking for people who may be able to offer their services in helping host this important Jazz event.

Despite hosting the last four bashes, I'll need to start by ruling myself out:
  • I've moved out of home and am currently at University with no direct internet connection.
  • Digiex which usually hosts it, has moved onto Dedicated Server Platforms. A Linux Dedicated box hosted in the US, and a Dedicated Windows box hosted at a datacenter in the UK. The Linux one is out of the question for hosting it, and by default Windows Server cant run JJ2, though maybe a bit of playing round it might be able to but with jj2 taking 100% CPU, that would be a nightmare on a production server.
  • No access to my home to use a spare PC on my home connection either.

Therefore we are looking for someone who could help us out, there's a few basic requirements:

Good Location
You will need to be located somewhere in Western Europe or North America as ping is an important aspect in network gaming and this is where the fast majority of players are based.

Fast Internet Upstream
Hosting a game is all about the upstream, you need a lot of it to manage 16 players in your server. Problem is, most Home Internet Providers do not provide upstream in fear of Peer to Peer technology, therefore people will need a good upstream, at least 60kb/sec.
A way to test your upstream is at: http://myspeed.visualware.com/

Advanced Knowledge
You do not require to be an expert at computers or network, but you will need a good understanding of port forwarding and understanding that running Limeware anywhere on your household connection will ruin the game for everyone! Therefore, either you own the connection or have control over it so you can ensure the bash runs smoothly.

The support of J2O
The Anniversary Bash has been organized in cooperation with the people at J2O for at least the last five years, and J2O provides all the publicity to users. Its important that whoever hosts it is on friendly terms with J2O staff and the community and seems fit by the administration, especially by FQuist who will work with you to ensure the map packs and server information are on J2O.

The following are recommend requirements which aren't required, but are highly recommended and give you a much better chance of being the hoster:

A Spare PC
Its important for the Bash to be 24/7, and as of course you will need sleep and other requirements, its easier to then allow trusted community members to be able to log in remotely and restart the server incase you are sleeping or out.

Installing VNC
As above, remote administration is highly recommended, and the use of VNC allows people with a password to log onto the Desktop and restart the server.

NOTE: This implies that you open up your computer to access from the trusted users that you or the Jazz2Online staff appoint.

If anyone has any serious offers of hosting, please either reply here or talk to Fquist or Nimrod directly.

Though you won't get paid for your effort, your have the warm feeling you helped out, and be respected by community members for your efforts

Cheers.

Last edited by FQuist; Mar 17, 2008 at 06:05 AM.