View Single Post

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Feb 5, 2014, 05:00 PM
Okay, I just downloaded the latest OJ version (no changelog?) and I'll do a runthrough...
  • Bullets move too fast.
  • The "Fall" and "Fall to ground" behaviors move much too fast.
  • Conversely, the "float back and forth" behavior moves too slow. (This may be a difference between single-x-pixel and quadruple-x-pixel movement.)
  • Offsets for the various weapon icons in PANEL.000 are read incorrectly. (this one surprises me)
  • The "launch pad" behavior... I dunno, I'm not sure if there are any properties it gets right.
  • Something about sprite attack positions doesn't seem to be working right, particularly the vertical offset.
  • OJ has no understanding of vertical movement for the (controllable) slide back and forth behaviors. (This is the main behavior I refer to when I mention things that the original JJ1 levels never used.)
  • Likewise, it massively overestimates the horizontal distance to be traveled by those behaviors.
  • The spring plants from Jungrock don't work. (I'm guessing this is because of differing interpretations of the size of null sprites.)
  • Swinging platforms don't draw their chain sprites. (Not a gameplay problem, and probably known, but I thought I'd mention it.)
  • The "flying snake" behavior bears no resemblance to its JJ1 equivalent.
  • Background effect #8 ("Grey sky") has more palette cycles than it should.
  • Events with the Stand On modifier don't obey the vertical positioning of the sprite when determining which pixels Jazz can't stand on, so the visible platform can end up quite a bit higher or lower than the physical one.
  • The "shot animation" anims appear to try to display an accessory animation even if their accessory animation is #0
  • The "Float up and down" behavior is checking for masks on the far right side of the sprite, instead of the column the event is placed, or... something? I'm not quite sure what's going on here. Also its collision detection with the player doesn't make any sense.
  • OJ freezes when the player comes near an event with an infinite number of accessory animations, instead of capping them at 7 (IIRC) like JJ1 does.
  • The ability of the "Repel Jazz foreground" behavior to set your XSpeed is much too powerful and lasts much too long.
  • Likewise, the "Spring up" modifier sends you too high.
  • The "Dive at Jazz" behavior doesn't have any mask detection at all, following you through walls and across pits.
  • OJ seems to have zero understanding of the use of Gravity=4 for bullets
  • Likewise, zero support for the "unknown weapon" (two modifiers after "Dispose airboard", third item in the "Accessory animations" window.
  • The "Float up" behavior is too weak on the X axis.
  • Passing over a 0-Strength event with modifier "Change water level" doesn't destroy it.
  • The "Float on water" behavior doesn't work.
  • The "Pezrock ball" behavior doesn't seem to respect the "Moving platform start" property.
  • An event with a >0 Strength property cannot be destroyed by shooting it unless it uses one of a subset of modifiers.
  • Bullets are moved the same gametick they are created, instead of waiting until the next one.
  • "Medivo ball" events don't move unless they have chain sprites... I think? Certainly some of them don't move, and that's my best guess for why.
  • Levels with offset Y camera positions (e.g. many Guardian levels) are misinterpreted as having sun tiles instead.
  • Only the first sun tile is read, instead of all four of them.
  • The background sky gradients scroll at the wrong speeds.
  • Given an attack whose "Hor. speed left #1" and "Hor. speed right #1" are both -1, OJ will manage to fire the bullet only to the right.
That's besides the basic engine stuff like not resetting ammo on death, or moving much too quickly (and not showing the airboard sprite) while flying, or bullets being active in memory while offscreen, or events loaded at different times than JJ1 would load them, or getting hurt not sending you flying backwards. There are probably more things I could have found, but the freezing from accessory animations problem prevented me from viewing three whole levels and I didn't feel like moving the start positions around or whatever to do more detailed testing. Basically, it's pretty, but it's not very playable.