View Single Post

JCF Member

Simon is doing well so far

Dec 30, 2016, 02:31 PM
Hi, I got reeled into the Discord community because I speedrun JJ1, and I gave JJ2 a shot today. According to BinaryBlob and TreyLina, both vanilla JJ2 and JJ2+ are eligible for running. I stumbled into two issues/missing features.

Pixel doubling

I'm happy with JJ2's field-of-view at 640x400. But this generates an extremely small window on my physical screen. I'd like the window twice as big, showing the 640x400 image at 1280x800. I don't have to see more of the map, so Bigjazz doesn't help. Fullscreen is not an option during a run, I'd read the run timer and twitch chat meanwhile. Even for casual play, fullscreen is too large on a 34-inch screen.

While I can enlarge the window by mouse-dragging its border (Archlinux with the xfce4 desktop, JJ2 runs via Wine) and get the desired pixel-scaling, this has severe drawbacks:
* It's laborius pixel-precise mouse-movement, or I'd have to script the window manager.
* The window size instantly resets when the first level starts, the window must be re-dragged.

The feature wish, thus, is pixel-doubling supported by the game.

I didn't find any option or discussion on pixel doubling. Has this ever come up in the past? Does anyone play with a 4K display, which would generate an even smaller window at 800x600?

Remap A and S (edit 5 hours later: solved, it was the collision prevention with player 2's keys)

The keys A and S are exactly on physical keys that I prefer for game input. JJ2+ doesn't let me bind anything to A or S. I understand that this isn't possible even in vanilla JJ2, which may well be weird design that you must inherit.

Can you make these keys rebindable? Are there already workarounds within the game?

---

BinaryBlob mentioned that JJ2+ has fixed a bug to kill bosses fast, but the speedrun relies on that bug. This makes the pixel-doubling issue more general than a JJ2+ feature wish. <_<;

-- Simon

Last edited by Simon; Dec 30, 2016 at 08:11 PM.