View Single Post

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Sep 19, 2020, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
I am sorry to potentially sow distrust here, but my Windows 10 antivirus tags the "plus_install.exe" downloaded from Violet CLM's link ("Download from J2O") as a virus, more specifically "Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.D3!ml". Respectfully asking, can you offer an explanation for this alert?
The same issue has been brought up in another thread here (note that the thread starter mentions 3 other pieces of antivirus software that don't detect anything).

It's hard to guess what Windows Defender has an issue with precisely, but it's probably the usual: it's a rarely downloaded file from an unknown source, it's new and Defender hasn't seen it before, and it modifies an exe file on your computer to run its own code. To antivirus software, that sounds scary. Perhaps it also detects some specific byte pattern that just happened to occur naturally by chance within the file.

It's always hard to know, because antivirus software relies on heuristics. It tries to be usually right but there's just no way to reliably tell malware apart from safe software, and antiviruses are generally closed-source so we can't just check with them and figure out which of the things we did triggered an alert (which makes perfect sense, because if we could, so could malware developers).

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.