View Single Post

JCF Member

plunK is an asset to this forum

Aug 3, 2009, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
plunK: If you look at your response to my point #4 you will see it answers your response to my point #6 nicely. Spike bolls are visible, which is against the point, and I think we've been seeing lately the bees event come into question as people start complaining that they cause problems with sugar rushes.

There are significantly more single player uploads on J2O than there are CTF uploads. That's pretty important. Also, changes like the ones I'm suggesting offer actual changes in terms of the possibilities available for JCS users. Most things JJ2+ has done are vague during-gameplay-only tweaks, the main exception being the new gametypes which actually allow JCS users to do new things. If you enable No Fire Zone or Spring Delays in SP, get the bonus level field to work, add a Lori start pos, reinsert the code to have gems give you extra lives, let secret level events specify a position in the secret level to begin in, increase the Rocket Turtle's functionality, even (optionally) remove the Robot Boss' extreme vulnerability to ice, these are actual meaningful changes that allow new level work to be done. That's a lot bigger than being able to bleach someone's name at will.

I understand that blur has his own personal preferences, and while I disagree with them, I respect them and the skill and dedication he has employed so far. I'm not saying that he is a tool and doesn't have the right to determine how he wants to use his knowledge -- this is what I would do if I myself had the tools and knowledge for how to edit JJ2. But I willingly resist other people trying to argue that single player changes are useless or unimportant.
Wow i feel stupid contradicting myself 2 lines apart >.<

and those are actually all good things (well the rocket turtle is ALWAYS evil)

wait......robot boss has ice vulnerability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
I pretty much agree with blur's focus on multiplayer, even though I personally would love to see enhancements to SP, and I am more interested in SP than MP. The thing is, any specific addition to JJ2+ is going to see a lot more mileage if it is multiplayer focused. With single player, he basically has to add new features and then hope they get used in levels. Therefore, efforts in this area are better put into bug fixes (the suggestion regarding hurt events and fixing bonus levels is a good example), and features that just happen to work in SP anyway (like death pits).

For a truly useful expansion of single player, the I think the person making the levels should be the one who controls what new features go in. One way to do this would be to mod the game itself, or create a "utility" like what karrotshire has. The latter is a bit easier but less powerful (it's basically just editing memory addresses).

Even better would be a scripting language that allows you to modify game variables and call functions, and I understand something like that is/was being worked on. Though I'm not sure how far along it's come or if there's even plan for a release. In any case it's been attempted before, and if something like that was ever made available, it would be FAR more useful than anything JJ2+ could do. It would allow you to write scripts that do whatever you want for levels, instead of having to write and compile new programs. And if the scripting language was designed properly, you could do crazy stuff like have a level with 20 exits and make it so triggers you activate in one level are carried over to another, to name just two of many possibilities.
I like that trigger idea......

but imo: here are the main things SP needs:
-customizable enemey HP's
-boss enemies
-1.23 ability to use larger tilesets
-Lori not failing miserably
-Be able to use lighting and water in the same map