View Single Post

JCF Member

Alister is doing well so far

Jul 1, 2010, 09:39 AM
I've just uploaded a build. Note that if you already have a version of OpenJazz, you'll also need a copy of zlib.dll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay View Post
Sound good, except that loading levels is hardly the most difficult part of replacing JJ2's engine.
That's why I'm asking if people are interested in taking it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyk View Post
I wouldn't be against the idea. Especially if it eventually culminated in using JJ2's JCS to create playable JJ1 levels.
If all you want to do is create a JJ1 level using layer 4's tiles, that's actually quite straightforward (but beyond the scope of OpenJazz). JCS won't be able to handle JJ1 events, though. They work in a completely different way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
It's a very interesing idea, but I think if you want to *fully* support JJ2 levels, you'll need to support a lot of other JJ2 features as well. The two games have extremely different styles of movement, and JJ2 levels are often designed around special moves (which the jj1 sprites won't allow for) or general quirks in the game. Basically, some (maybe even most) levels will probably work fine if converted to JJ1, but there will be a number of cases where they are incompatible.
Player movement and animations will eventually be different. OpenJazz currently uses separate code for player movement/appearance for JJ1 and JJ2 levels. Admittedly, the code for JJ2 is just copied and pasted from the code for JJ1, but I will be modifying it.