JCF Member

Soulweaver is an asset to this forum

May 9, 2013, 02:24 PM
Project Carrot

Project Carrot homepage
GitHub:
Project Carrot · PCAE · PCTC · PCLC

Current project status (1/2017): Semi-active
Slowly progressing, but also putting quite a bit of time into other things. Such as AGDQ'17

Good to see my million years old account still works

I've been writing a JJ2 engine clone, titled Project Carrot for now, since this February. The plan is, of course, emulate the whole game without losing compatibility to old levels and tilesets while adding new features (like you can already have as many foreground and background layers as you want to). There are though some secondary features I have already decided to drop such as Caption tiles (likely to cause a lot of extra headache for little profit) and level password protection (source code being eventually open source would render any kind of protection useless because user could just check how the game decrypts the data for its own use).

I decided against announcing the project here immediately back then as I'm painfully aware how game development by casuals works most of the time: announce a project, work on it for a week, forget it till eternity. So I've been holding this back for quite a while now, but as I'm still three months later still working on it, I thought it'd be great to show it off a bit.

I recorded a short-ish overview of the current state of the engine and put it on YouTube. You can see it here. The second preview video was recorded in October 2013 and is available here, and the third video from May 2016 is likewise here.

See the newest additions from the git commit history in the repository.

----

Once I feel the code is complete enough, the game will be available for download and the source code will be made public (I'll put it on git or something) it already is. Or if I decide to scrap it, the source code will still be published. Until then, you'll just need to wait (I have so many personal projects that don't expect anything completely implementing all of Jazz2 for a year or two at least.)

So, yeah. Any thoughts, ideas I should record for later, etc.?

E: And of course, I need to express my gratitude to everyone who has been involved with taking apart the proprietary formats during the many years after the game was released. Making this would be a thousandfold harder without all the knowledge floating around

Last edited by Soulweaver; Jan 10, 2017 at 12:57 PM.