View Single Post

JCF Member

Simon is doing well so far

Jun 12, 2021, 02:08 AM
Research for Nippius 2 from the 2021-05-30 vod. (Other research will come in other posts.)

Nippius 2 spring shaft: All ice-cream cones in the spring shaft are collectable in a single run without dying, even your red-circled cones. It is weird science.

My method: Don't shoot the speed shoes as Jazz passes by them. Instead, run through the zig-zag at normal speed. When Jazz passes beneath your painted green "1", jump high towards the left wall. At the peak of the jump arc, use TNT to collect the speed shoes. Jazz can then spend the full time of the speed shoes in the spring shaft. Jazz can jump to all rocks in the center, and collect all cones, even your red ones.

I tested this only on Hard. I don't know if the jump height differ between Easy/Medium/Hard speed shoes; I merely know that the running speed differs: 8/10/12 pixels per frame compared to the 6 pixels per frame without speed shoes.

The method works even when you start the level after dying, without weapons. There are 2 TNT above the entrance that Jazz can collect.

It's possible to streamline the item placement. E.g., remove all of your red-circled cones. The yellow-circled already feel like too intrusive a change; a player determined to 100% the map will get them even without weird science. At most he'll need a few tries. Thoughts?

Nippius 2 ending: If you edit the cones near the exit signpost, don't just remove 3 or 4 of the 5 -- rearrange all 5 to keep Jazz 1's style. Jazz 1 item placement tends to make cool bunches in a pattern, rarely single items. I still encourage to make the line-of-5 vertical instead of horizontal, and move them rightward, over the rightmost spring.

-- Simon