Thread: ChatLogJJ2 II
View Single Post

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Jan 1, 2002, 05:38 PM
ChatLogJJ2 II

Well...I have been working on my next version of ChatLogJJ2. It will be released mid to late January, depending upon how many features you all think of (see below). It has\will have a whole whack of new features, and will work better than the first version. Current features put in\planned are:
  • TSF Support
  • Better text capturing (for those technically inclined, it will read from every single address from the stack, rather than just the top slot)
  • Better interface; instead of just a listbox with the name and the text, there will be separate things so you can do things like copy and paste, make it say ONLY the text in JJ2, sort the list, and so on.
  • A wider window, so you can see all the text when someone posts a big long 54 character chat.
  • Will use the built-in windows API rather than having external dependencies (e.g. comdlg32.ocx and skinform.dll); the only external file needed will be msvbm50.dll (the VB5 runtime library). EDIT: I will actually use a few ocx files, but I'll try to keep it to a minimum
  • Multiple choices for chat export to files, including real-time exporting, and partial parsing (format "name:chat text") for full parsing by PHP scripts and the like.
  • Option to make a noise when an event occurs, or flash the icon in the taskbar. Also the ability to customize exactly what sound it makes depending on what event it is (chat, joining, leaving, roast, capture, etc...)
  • Some sound effects will be included, but you can use your own too.
  • Logging options (to log only certain events)
  • Auto scrolling
  • A separate "log" window (kind of like the JJ2 spy window), for logging ChatLogJJ2 events and messages and errors, and not JJ2 stuff
  • Hide window (only an icon inthe system tray), and possibly complete hide, only accessible by a key combination (depends if I can figure out how to do that) (BæÅüMÃ(-)Ñ)
  • Color coding and RTF export (if I can get the rich textbox OCX to work the way I want) (BæÅüMÃ(-)Ñ)
  • Log file cap (BæÅüMÃ(-)Ñ)
  • Place to type things in to chat in the JJ2 window (but, due to a Windows limitation, the program will have to restore and bring to focus the JJ2 window. However, I can make it disappear again afterwards) (iCeD)
  • Maybe an FTP upload thing, if I can find out about the FTP protocol (or easier, use someone elses OCX ) (iCeD)
  • Sorry...it isn't a chat bot program (and anyways, another J2HG member is working on that and we can't copy each other)

I would like everybody to tell me what other features they want in ChatLogJJ2 II. I want it to be the best ever, and have all the features that everybody wants.

I will post some screenshots soon, but it isn't quite ready for screenshots yet (I still have to finalize some layout decisions).

I will also need some program testers, so if you would like to pre-release test this, please post here. I want a few people who are good at computer stuff, who can test it for bugs and things, and I want a few computer illiterate people who will test it just for ease of use and user interface and stuff.

So remember, try and think up some features and post them here. There wasn't really a lot of feedback in the J2O downloads section about features you wanted, so mostly everything above was thought up by me. I will give people credit who thought up features that I use in the program.

Program Testers:

Overlord
KRSplat
BæÅüMÃ(-)Ñ
Aiko (if he agrees)
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

Last edited by Link; Jan 3, 2002 at 02:06 PM.