View Single Post

JCF Member

Simon is doing well so far

Jul 29, 2020, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900
Here's a version of this I threw together. [of Tubelectric 2]
It works in 1.3, but of course, the as-shipped version of Tube 2 works fine in 1.3 as well, so the tell is whether it works in good-1.2.
I put your level into good-1.2 and played. Yes, the spring activates and flashes its sprite as soon as Jazz has run past the middle. Thanks!

Downsides of this hack:
  • The flashing spring sprite hovers in the air, it's not on the ground, unlike the grounded flashing spring in, e.g., 1.0.
  • The spring appears when I jump over the event without landing.
  • The spring activates a tad later than a normal hidden spring in 1.0/1.3 because Jazz must pass its center.
Right, it confirms your theory that springs and ditches are fixable with sprites in good-1.2.

It's also conceivable to just put visible springs in place of hidden springs, like the Jazz devs did in good-1.2's Tubelectric 2. Like you, after comparing the files, I'm not so sure anymore what Tubelectric 2 was meant to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
We already have the results of what will happen when we take the good-1.2 executable with 1.3 levels: This will be the bad 1.2.
I'm not sure about the first point; Orbitus uses the same level files in good-1.2 and bad-1.2, and yet the bounce floors in Orbitus work fine in good-1.2, but are broken in bad-1.2.
Hmm, Orbitus uses different LEVEL*.005 in good-1.2 and bad-1.2. The bad-1.2 LEVEL*.005 is identical to the 1.3 or the 1.0 LEVEL*.005.

To be certain and to rule out other causes than executable and LEVEL*.005, I playtested Orbitus 1 after putting the bad-1.2 LEVEL*.005 into good-1.2. The behavior is then as in the bad-1.2: Broken bouncy floors that behave like air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGPW View Post
wow I absolutely love this! You guys do god's work.
Thanks! Great to see your interest. I'm super happy too that I can bounce these intricate ideas off Robo4900, and I'm learning a ton.

There is more to reply from Robo4900, I'll have to come back to that post.

Still, exciting new finding in Medivo 1! Existing knowledge: The Medivo airboard ditch in good-1.2 is broken (if airboard-Jazz passes over the ditch, Jazz won't ditch the airboard). We assume that this is because the ditch has no sprite, thus no collision with Jazz, and it's fixable by giving it a sprite.

Now, it's possible to shoot the checkpoint sign that is inside the Medivo 1 airboard section, die from the spikes next to it, and respawn on the checkpoint without airboard. Then Jazz will walk though the ditch. On touching the invisible ditch, Jazz will immediately receive an airboard! No sound plays, no yellow sparks fly.

This will not happen in 1.0 or 1.3; running over the ditch will not give Jazz an airboard there. Only in good-1.2 (haven't tested bad-1.2), Jazz will receive an airboard from the Medivo 1 ditch.

Thus, we have a non-sprite event that interacts with Jazz in 1.2. Nonetheless, the airboard ditch is fixable by giving it a sprite. I don't yet see how this fits together. I haven't tested other ditches in good-1.2 (one can gain/lose airboard with P, backspace, CSTRIKE to test other ditches) and I point out that the Medivo 1 LEVEL0.002 file is unique in good-1.2, which may explain that airboard-providing ditch.

-- Simon

Last edited by Simon; Jul 29, 2020 at 02:15 PM.