Thread: Galaxies?
View Single Post

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Dec 19, 2011, 03:25 PM
Galaxies?

Recently there've popped up on the ERE some pages purporting to identify the galaxy or galaxies JJ1 takes place in. The claims are centralized in the main JJ1 article. The source given is the Jazz Jackrabbit Wiki(a), as written by someone called Videogamer13, which does not give any source. The only mentions of the local group I've been able to find are this We Love Dos Games article, which mentions only the Triangulum galaxy but not Andromeda or the Milky Way, and a comment on this Youtube video, which does not give any justification for the belief.

As far as direct evidence goes, text internal to JJ1 (i.e. in the cutscenes) makes repeated references to "the galaxy" without offering any name. The manual refers to the Gene Machine episode as taking place in a different galaxy than the others -- a fact not represented in the local group trichotomy -- but still offers no names. The bar Jazz stops at in the JJ1 comic to get information about Devan has "intergalactic" in the title, reinforcing the idea that multiple galaxies are known, even if most of the action seems to take place in just one. JJ2 is mostly silent on the issue but does mention that winning the game is tantamount to "preserv[ing] the well being of the entire galaxy," singular.

So... where is this Andromeda/Triangulum/Milky Way stuff from in the first place? The division of the galaxies by episode feels too specific to have all originated out of that one Youtube comment. I can understand the claim that the ending cutscene of Episode 6 takes place in the Milky Way, since there's a very Earth-looking planet in the background, but that's still a long way from saying that every episode of JJ1 takes place in one of these three specific galaxies and by the way we also know which one is in which. Is there a source that I just don't know about, or did somebody make something up that someone else later took as fact?