View Single Post

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jan 27, 2015, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
I'm actually working on a 3D, third person platformer/shooter (completely original idea, art style is untextured *extremal* lowpoly, like say in Skyroads or Alpha Waves). Maybe if I get successful with it, I'd be able to approach Epic to get JJ license, saying "We've made 3D platformers a thing again, if we could get Jazz Jackrabbit license, JJ3 would become reality, we'd only pay for license and would take all expenses on ourselves, probably with help of crowdfunding, you wouldn't pay a penny."

That's my ultimate goal. JJ needs new game. After completing JJ1 and JJ Advance multiple times (JJ2 is only good with custom maps or in MP, SP campaign is boring, maybe except that Alice in Wonderland level), I want more. Much more.

//edit: If anyone is interested in the game I'm making, follow http://twitch.tv/qvear - doing devstreams there from time to time. Game's in Unity and at the time of writing this, I'm working on level editor.
With the lack of an audience built, I don't think an hour and a half video on twitch will appeal to many, and less-so if you aren't interested in game development, with 3rd person shooter as a description sounding run of the mill as it gets.

As you can tell, I couldn't be bothered watching the video. Because it's too long, not about the footage, and twitch videos take a lightyear for me to load, (though I don't have trouble watching videos on other video uploading sites). However, I'm probably not the target audience for that.

When people look for something in a game that's in development, the first thing they want to see is concepts - like a demo or what the game could look like, and a breif description that really tells what the game is about, as mentioning genre alone won't catch much attention. It doesn't matter how unique an art style is (apart from first impressions), because in the end, it's the gameplay that keeps people pulled in. And given you do have some "original" gameplay idea and insist on hiding it, why talk about the game so early in development?

Maybe I sound mean, though I have good intentions; to make a new game sound appealing. With appealing to others, you build an audience better and become more successful.

Sorry for the derailment. If you want, you can make a new thread about it to continue the discussion.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ