View Single Post
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Feb 11, 2008, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSworD View Post
When I refer to "platformy" design, I'm saying the platform placements had little or no intended purpose to enhance the gameplay and were just added randomly. Also, levels that aren't so platformy are harder to learn and are usually more strategical, as is evident from battle1. In level design, it's not so much about making perfect levels but what can be done to enhance the level further and further, so even if platformy levels are good, levels that are not so platformy can be BETTER.
I was referring to Rag's post which was in reference to Jimbob's image which didnt seem random at all, but ok. The game itself is based around two characters comprised mostly of moves that are meant to move about platforms, by axing those it seems to be crippling the gameplay mechanincs instead of embracing them. Its like saying "All right, we have a Sonic game but we're going to make the level design completely negate his speed and spindash". I'm not saying that levels should be made of nothing but floating platforms as that'd be rather bland, but if the image Jimbob posted is what constitutes as "too platformy" and thus constitutes what should be "avoided" then I don't think the current level design philosophy is headed 100% in the right direction (not saying its extremely off the mark, only just a tad bit so).

Granted, this is speaking as someone who is a full on platformer fan who also always found SBv2 to be an extremely dull level to play in and always found many common design ideas to be rather odd whereas the rest of the fanbase may be using influences from different genres and their design choices feel right to them and others since thats what they're a fan of. So theres really no right or wrong to this situation (at least the way I perceive it, judging from a response or two some people are completely misinterpreting what I'm asking). Also Rag, could you repost your answer if it wasn't a complete retread of Firesword's response? I'm rather interested in reading the various opinions on design here.