View Single Post

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Mar 10, 2014, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Question: would there be any desire for an altered (or customizable) /cstop if /start and /stop weren't unhelpfully banned on Camel servers? If so, what would be the proposed use case/s?
No, not with the current implementation of /stop. /cstart is not really an issue, even though it could be made customizable as well for symmetry or something. It is obvious why people would want to use a countdown in the first place. After all, before JJ2+ (and the patches that preceded it) we used to do it manually.

The reason we requested /cstop in the first place was that a lot of conflicts occured when people would /stop games without a warning. Sometimes it even went as far as purposeful abuse, players writing /stop when an opponent was above a pit or simply in order to annoy the other team.

For the life of me, I cannot see any objective reason why not to implement /cstop. /Smhealth and /maxplayers seem to be just as trivial settings and customization is in and of itself a virtue, especially when it is very clear that one group of people has a clear personal preference for three seconds and one for five seconds.

Perhaps you will be able to conjure up some kind of argument as to why a customizable /cstop would be inconsistent with the other JJ2+ functionality or the vision behind the project, but what has been communicated so far certainly has not been very convincing.

The reason why no one has been constantly bugging you about /cstop until now is because it remained in the list of future features. We, but perhaps I can only speak for myself here, think it is quite legitimate that you guys spend your time pursuing the ideas that interest you personally (up until the last release Angelscript and singleplayer improvements seemed to be the main interest, next to Jerry's 3D efforts), as long as you keep the door open. "Sorry, no one has the time or will to do it right now, but perhaps it may definitely happen some time in the future."

Unfortunately, you have one person on the active team who has, admittedly for quite hilarious reasons, made this issue personal. This is the second time already that (s)he has tried to shut down any plans of implementing this much sought for feature request.

Be that as it may, I can understand why you guys would not want to make that person angry with you, seeing as he or she is a very active member of the JJ2+ development team and since (s)he would without a doubt remain angry at all of you for years. It would certainly reflect very badly on the rest of you if you would let his/her... mild obsession with this issue stemming from personal conflicts stop you from making such a minor and simple alteration to the patch compared to the things you are currently working on, but whatever, perhaps it is worth it.

Luckily, there is another possible solution that is a lot harder to argue with that zepect proposed to me recently: make /stop freeze everything completely so that there can be no issue of people falling into an unfavourable position. In that way, you can keep that one person happy - let's give him/her the benefit of the doubt and assume that (s)he would not complain about a perfected /stop implementation as well - all the while solving the real problem, which we have directly and indirectly been pointing to: people falling into unfavourable positions when the game is stopped.

Last edited by Grytolle; Mar 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM.