View Single Post
Bobby aka Dizzy

(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)istrator

Bobby aka Dizzy is doing well so far

Jul 12, 2007, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
I think Abandonware should be freeware.

Some people are, quite frankly, right wing idiots who have a vendetta against anyone getting anyone for free(probably because it means they can't use annoying little phrases like "There's no such thing as a free lunch" to construct their weak arguments). I'm someone who believes in sharing, I love the philosophy being Linux and it's community even if I'm not a very big part of it due to gaming.

Obviously, a company needs to profit from recent games, it can't just give people games for free or it couldn't and wouldn't exist. But if they're not making money anymore, then why not share it? The rate at which games change and expand, old games become outdated rather quickly. Some stand the test of time better than others, for example Shenmue on the Dreamcast still measures up to a lot of games today. But most don't.
One might consider that just because something isn't currently supported that it doesn't mean that it won't be supported in the future, perhaps through a re-release on an alternate system. How should this change the company's ability to still make a profit off their IP?