Thread: Project Carrot
View Single Post
Soulweaver

JCF Member

Soulweaver is an asset to this forum

May 1, 2016, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Thanks for the update! It's cool to see the places where it looks like you intentionally changed the game behavior... turtles walking up and down hills, and I think I noticed some pickups bouncing off a swinging platform at one point?
Yeah, some of it is kinda intentional, in the way that when I've tried to implement a feature, it has accidentally ended up with a neat side effect that I haven't tried to (or maybe succeeded to in some cases) remove. I can't remember what my original vision was, but at the moment my strong opinion is that even though I try to be as compatible with the original engine as possible, in the end I'm already at a point that a complete clone would be difficult without revamping most of the inner structures. Their limitations would especially be detrimental if/when it is ever going to go into the territory where completely new features are added in.

I actually listed enemies walking up and down the hills as a bug in the OP (which I should clean up soon), but I might just as well keep it, at least as a default behaviour. Your observation with the coins being bounced by the platforms was correct as well: the platforms have standard collision checking with all actors. Only players can be carried by them at the moment, though – expanding that to other stuff could be something interesting to look into later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
I'm assuming the tube physics are unfinished, though what I'm not sure is incomplete is the falling physics. Falling seems to go too fast. The falling speed cap should be smaller too. Also launching from springs still looks a bit too fast (no, I didn't use the blooper video as a reference).

Nice to see you working back on the project though. Good luck!
Thanks! I'm assuming you have better knowledge of the physics than I do, so would you mind to elaborate on how tubes seem incomplete? Factors like speeds are fairly easy to change and they've seemed good enough, so I've kept them as is for now and focused elsewhere instead, but if they seem to be off significantly, I might look into them in the future. For the springs, you are probably correct – changing how it works would require some non-trivial changes at the moment, though.

Disclaimer that the above reply to Violet applies to this as well though: being a 100% clone is a very low priority if at all if it comes with a high-cost compromise somewhere else.

Last edited by Soulweaver; May 1, 2016 at 11:51 AM.