View Single Post

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Nov 17, 2016, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Seriously, if someone haven't visited site in years, they probably don't care what'll happen anyway, all you'd need to do is for "conflicting" accounts that can't be contacted to send them e-mail that basically says "okay, listen. We've tried to contact you whether you want to merge JCF account into J2O account or vice versa, but since we've been unable to do so in a reasonable amount of time, your forum login is now your J2O login".
No, because people's e-mails may be outdated, or they may have private data in their personal messages, and merging would give someone access to the private messages of both accounts, and allow them to edit/delete contributions by both accounts, which is something that really should be avoided.

Sure, you can come up with something to counter that, like deleting PMs for accounts that seem dead, or making their downloads read-only, but is that worth it? People do sometimes come back after years, even if it happens rarely.

There is no easy way out. There are ways out, but at this point it's probably not worth the effort.

Quote:
But then, if I get banned from the JCF, wouldn't that mean that I'm banned from J2O as well? Y'know, because it's the same account then.
No, probably JCF access would be another privilege linked to the account which could be toggled separately. Hypothetically.

Quote:
I'd rather the wiki (Earlong Royal encyclopedia) be made functional again for already. It's been down for years. Linking users accounts would be too much effort for little reward.
I have a functional copy of the wiki running locally, but the problem is that its code is incompatible with the site as it's currently running. I'd need to spend a week or two either integrating it or porting the rest of the site as well, which might happen, but it's hard to make predictions about when that would be.