View Single Post

JCF Member

PT32 is an asset to this forum

Apr 12, 2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJazz View Post
I think the game is relatively universal. It's not like the game itself has any mature content, it just so happens that we're mostly an aged community. These days it seems the normal view is that it's socially unacceptable to be playing games with children in mind when the general gaming population plays mature games. I wouldn't say we're childish for still playing JJ2 though, simply because we enjoy it for its qualities (how many 2D action games with a competitive multiplayer can you name!), and not because we're against video game violence. It's not like it's any more childish than Mario and Sonic, which are both highly popular franchises amongst older gamers.
I like a lot of the things PJ's pointed out here, because they're true.

Therefore, I shall build on it.

Not every game out there HAS to have mature content, and not every game out there HAS to be child-unfriendly. Some things are better left alone, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Personally, I'm against allowing adult material in Jazz-related stuff...but I also recognize that not everyone may agree with me.

I would put forth that there are plenty of other places where children can go to play child-unfriendly games, so why not preserve the "innocence" of a decently clean game (which, indeed, is the biggest appeal Jazz Jackrabbit holds for me) so that folks who WANT a child-friendly game will have a place to go?

And before you jump all over me because Jazz Jackrabbit isn't 100% child-friendly, it's certainly more so than a lot of other games out there.

Sean's point about most of us J2Oers being teenagers is a good one (I'm 18 and a half myself), but my answer to that is that if we change our standards now just to placate the teenagers playing at this moment (who'll all likely be through with Jazz Jackrabbit within the next 5 years anyway), won't we be shutting out a future crop of children who could potentially pick up the game of Jazz Jackrabbit and take the place of us ol' geezers?

The real question here is this:

Do we A: Wish to make the game more palatable to the limited people playing right now and watch our beloved community become no more within the next decade?

Or B: Make a small self-sacrifice on our part (Which really isn't that small, since we can find plenty of mature content elsewhere if we want it badly enough) in order to keep J2O thriving and growing for a long time to come?

Hencely, I am against changing the rules, not because it's the wrong or un-Christian thing to do (Although I believe that as well), but because I genuinely believe that the J2O community has survived this long against some crazy unbelievable odds because we're different. Because we're unique. Because we don't feel the need to change our identity just to go with the flow. The formula we employ has carried us this far, so why don't we just keep doing what has made us this successful and see what happens?

If the rules ARE changed, I'll probably stick around, but only because I'm a Jazz Jackrabbit/J2O loyalist who is openminded and reasonable enough to accept that people are different from me. I can't say the same for anybody else.

In conclusion, let me leave y'all with one last thought: Once we start changing the rules, where will we STOP?

Just think about it.

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Renascence: The Last Jackrabbit