View Single Post

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

May 3, 2012, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJazz View Post
The way I see it, parents shouldn't let their children use the internet unmonitored if they are worried about them seeing adult language. Let's face it: if you're going to use the internet at all, you're going to see swearing at least once in a while. There isn't really anything you can do to avoid it. Even if mature content is forbidden on-site, there isn't anything that can be done to control online interactions (hence why the rating systems never cover online multiplayer on games).
In terms of swearing: compare children's television from today with the 90's and you'll see a lot more swearing is tollerated these days, including slightly more graphical violence. Children like to cross the line which is something seen in all human history, it's like an exploration to them.

I believe the rating boards themselves are a good thing, as long as their ratings remain advisory and not an official restriction. A game store should never be accountable for any 'damage' a child could've caused after buying and playing an 18+ game, those things should be totally in the hands of parents.

When I was a child, I was never interested in any 'mature' games with blood effects and such. So I don't know what my parents would've thought of it if I did want to play a bloody game back then. Knowing them, they probably would've allowed it to some extense but sure didn't like it. I was only interested in platform/action games on PC and Nintendo including JJ.

Internet is and should remain an open network. So if a parent doesn't want his/her child to see swearing and certain images on the net, it's their job to monitor or restrict usage physically or using online safety software, etc.

Just my opinion on all of this.