View Single Post
Another Jazz 2 fan

JCF Member

Another Jazz 2 fan has disabled reputation

Mar 22, 2002, 03:25 PM
The Life of Jason Jackrabbit
---Part One

"My parents came to Deserto with the first colonization from Carrotus. The native lizards of this planet were friendly, and welcomed the rabbits. This was before Devan Shell came to power."

A few rabbits cringe at the mention of Devan. Jason takes a swig of ale, and continues.

"My brother Alex and I were born there, on Deserto. The colony was thriving. We had adapted to the extreme heat. We grew carrots in plowed fields. We traded with the lizards. Life was good, I tell you!

"However, we were growing distant from Carrotus. They stopped sending new colonists, and the flow of imported goods faltered. They had discovered Diamondus, and had lost interest in our hot, mineral-poor planet. Diamondus had a nice climate, and was an excellent site for mining. Before long, we were forgotten." Jason takes a drink.

"But we still prospered, and formed our own government to rule over us. And we thrived under it.

"Everything changed when Devan came. He had already conquered several other planets, unknown to us. We were so oblivious! I remember, my brother and I were playing in the carrot fields when he came. The colony quickly fell, and we were enslaved and forced to work for him. The lizards were quick to flock to Devan's side." Jason pauses for a breath, and a deep swig of ale. The tavern is silent. The rabbits had forgotten their drinks.

"And so, my brother and I grew up in slavery. Carrotus wouldn't help us, we had no way to communicate with them. I didn't know that my own cousin Jazz had been hired to defeat Devan Shell as a last resort. We did not know that the rabbit empire was on the verge of collapse, and all that could save it was my own cousin! We were slaves.

"My mind often thought of ways to escape. I longed to be free. I hated the hard work and poor treatment of us. They whipped my father to death! As for me, I toiled on. I would never forget the cruel gaze of the Schwartzenguards, and the pleasure they derived from beating us!" The red rabbit is choking up. He pauses to regain himself, and takes a long swig of ale.

"There was nothing I could do. Nothing!" He pauses.

"We were overjoyed when the turtles left, leaving the lizards in charge of us. But we did not realize how thoroughly they had been brainwashed. They were just as bad, if not worse than the Schwartzenguards." He takes another swig.

"We needed to be free, but we could not free ourselves. We were in serious need of help, but how could we contact the other rabits? It seemed they had forgotten us. I will remind you that we had no knowledge that Devan had kidnapped Princess Eva Earlong! We could not know that Carrotus had its own problems."

Jason finishes his drink. The tavern is silent, except for the chirping of a few crickets, who soon, ashamedly, stop. Shafts of light come through the window blinds.

"Well," concludes Jason, "I've kept you up all night! If you'd like to hear more, come back tomorrow."

The rabbits seem disappointed, but soon realize how tired they are. Even the drunk rabbits have become sober. They all slowly file out, anticipating the continuation of Jason's story.

TO BE CONTINUED

Proud to be an old-timer! Rarely active, but Jazz Jackrabbit will always be in my heart.

Check out my War Tavern story, The Life of Jason Jackrabbit! [UPDATE - yeah, it died in 2002, but it was fun!]
Current Projects: Devan's Secret Weapon - yes, I still intend to release this some day. Got a lot of really great stuff done, it's going to be awesome!