View Single Post
incandescentembers

JCF Member

incandescentembers is doing well so far

Mar 19, 2014, 11:00 AM
The most OBSCURE / RARE / UNPOPULAR tileset

Hi everyone! I will allow myself to make some kind of a contest in here. It's all about finding the rarest tilesets there are and make an interesting use of it.

There are 3 categories of making use of the tileset:
  1. Building a level using the found rare tileset.

Interesting tiles placement in an example level. It may be a full level, single player, battle etc., but if someone doesn't have time and energy for all that he may just build a something really small, just to show his idea of using the tileset. Originality counts.
  2. Modification of the tileset.

Basically speaking, building a new tileset using all of the main tiles from the rare tileset. You can skip some ugly, unnecessary tiles, but the main theme should be kept. You can add as much as you want, but it should in some way fit the original theme of the tileset.
  3. Redrawing of the tileset.

You are constructing a completely new tileset, everything made by yourself, but based on the original found tileset. It would be something like JJ2 version of Diamondus is to the original JJ1 diamondus tileset.

The tilesets don't have to come from Jazz2online. They don't even have to be finished, if you will find some scratches of never finished tileset - that's fine.

The example levels should be made for all 3 categories. Even if it would be 20x15 tiles - that's perfectly fine. The levels are NOT about the gameplay AT ALL! Everything is simply about the interesting ideas of using the tileset. Making it pop out, look really awesome, even if the tileset by itself looks crappy.

I'm not setting right now any dead lines, any dates... Just because I don't know if someone will join this contest anyways... But I think it is a good idea to knock out the monotony of the overused tilesets. There are some tilesets that were used thousands of times, and there are some which don't even have a single level using them. Sure, there are better tilesets and worse ones. There is no wonder that Agama's 4 tilesets availible on J2O are used so heavily, because they are so pretty. Official tilesets are used so heavily that, even though they are pretty, they starting to get terrible. And there are also some tilesets not so pretty, but for some reason used very heavily, like Top Secret III (god, I hate that tileset! ).

I will give some examples of rare tilesets that I found:
  • Slimeset by Skulg
    an example of a beautiful, and yet, rare tileset.
  • School V3
    very interesting tileset. The only level I've seen using that tileset was the example level included with the tileset
  • Planet X
    not that beautiful but very interesting
  • KrypeV2
    very weird tileset, which doesn't even have masks, but I'm sure it could get an interesting use.

You can also contribute by just placing what u've found. It's always nice to see some fresh tilesets.