View Single Post
incandescentembers

JCF Member

incandescentembers is doing well so far

Apr 9, 2014, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
So, I found metropo.j2t, which doesn't look too bad apart from the poorly edited epic sign. It's only been used properly once, and used minimally for a cutscene. In an other upload, the tileset was included but not actually used (I checked). However it does fall on the flat or pillowy side.
I've seen that tileset somewhere. It's definitely interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Oh, and I'm still in this contest. Time is a little scarce, been spending effort on making a WordPress theme for a friend. Though my next Photoshop session will sure finish the old set I'm editing. Then I still need to make a level with it as it's probably too obscure for anyone else to use. But then again, most sets that don't stand out in any way are only used by their creators.
NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
I should probably point out that my "Challenge accepted" was actually serious, and I am working on a level using one of those Win95 tilesets. I'm still trying stuff, but this might actually be a pretty good level once it's done.
I don't know why would you do that to yourself and to us. Windows tielsets are obscure indeed, that's why I won't tell you not to use them, but maybe think about your tileset choice more before starting. Like I mentioned before regarding the tilesets from movies (like Bad Boys II etc.) - this type of tileset isn't really an artwork coming from the creator of the tileset. It's just SCREENSHOT -> PASTE -> MAKE A TILESET... Apart from the fact that this kind of tiles are very limited (since they consist of graphics that weren't made for a game - you can pretty much just select all the tiles where the photo is or the window from Windows and paste it into a level... Using parts of photo as a single tile will just look ugly, except for some parts which by luck will somehow tile) it doesn't really promote the artwork of this community... The main idea was to promote artists of J2O who put some effort to create their own tiles, which didn't get too much attention.

We can also look at the credit tilesets (the ones with just letters and a background) as obscure tilesets. Most of them probably are, because they were built only for one custom episode. But what can you do with letters? How exciting is that? And what is original about it? I would stick to tilesets with actual tiles, not with just some randomly copied stuff.

BESIDES, I don't know WHY so many people in here are picking the dumbest tilesets there are... Especially that there are sooo many obscure but yet interesting and nice tilesets. Check out my post below, the sets I found, some of them really ROCK! And there are at least 50 times more sets like this to be found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
And good luck everyone, this should be fun!
Thx, you too!

By they way, I was doing some research again...

A lot of times when I find an obscure tileset it is a garbage (like THIS) but it's interesting to see all that work. There are TONS of different tilesets...

THIS is really nice, and used only by an author once...

ALKAJAZZ - nice, used only twice by an author.

AMAZON RUINS - somehow, I don't know how, it has very strong JJ1 feel. It's very simple but yet very interesting and used only once as an example level by an author.

THIS very obscure, that's for sure. But not sure how creative can you get with a tileset like this. It's way too poor.

Now THIS is more like it to have some potential for interesting use, but THIS even more - version 2 of the first tileset of the same author. Aqua Base, I definitely love the name!

WTH?

THIS is very simple but has something in it. It comes with 3 very good SP levels, but apart from them no one ever used it. I believe just like all the other author's uploads (THIS ORBITUS-LIKE is actually pretty good, but THIS on the other hand is pretty bad).

PRISON ISLAND never used? Are you kidding me? It's far from perfect, but it's very interesting, very developed, you can find tons of interesting uses for that... Again, the same author has some interesting stuff that no one ever used. THIS looks nice, although going all the way to number 60 in destructive blox is ultra rad... Now THIS REMAKE OF SONIC TILESET is just awesome! And again, NEVER used... WTH?

THIS I don't know... It looks like the main tiles use some generic textures from PhotoShop. The figures are interesting but what can you do with that many figures in a game? Another story? BORING... This is a computer game, God damn it! Not a TV show / cartoon...

CANNIBAL LAND!

OK, that's it for now!

Last edited by incandescentembers; Apr 9, 2014 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Just adding BESIDES note...