View Single Post

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Feb 11, 2015, 09:51 AM
TreyLina's small tileset contest! Win money!

Since I saw a fair amount of interest from others in entering this, I decided it's time to begin!

First place prize is £25. Whether there will be a second place prize, depends on the quality of the entries. Second place prize is £12.50.

If all the entries suck, no one wins.

The deadline is now the 10th of July 2015

Anyway, here's the rules:

1. Max size is 150 tiles. That's 480 pixels tall.
2. No conversions. You can rip some tiles (like destructable scenery), but it can't define the tileset.
3. It should be 1.23 compatible. If you only have TSF JCS, use zapS's tileset converter.
4. An example level must be provided. It doesn't have to be a gamemode, but it needs to show what the tileset does as intended. Whether the level requires plus or not, it doesn't matter.
5. The entry must be uploaded on J2O.
6. Remakes are allowed as long as the art is genuinely new and not just slightly modified.

Here are some helpful tips to make you win and make tileset creating less of a pain:

1. Provide commonly used things in tilesets. Such as slopes, backgrounds, vines and tubes.
2. Good tile arrangement provides user friendliness. Try to make sure the tiles you're meant to use are placed beside one another.
3. Your textured background does not need to be 8x8. You can make it smaller to fit other tile types. Infact, a textured background is not required, as you can make a 2D background instead if you want.
4. Pallette compatibility with pinball events, water, snow etc is a plus, given if it fits with the theme of the level (if it's pallette incompatible and doesn't fit with the theme of the level, it won't affect the rating).
5. Destructable blocks, text signs, arrow signs, poles, belt floors (if the theme is mechanical), hurt scenery (ceiling and wall ones an extra plus!), foregrounds and hooks are also a nice plus.
6. Make sure the mask is smooth - no bumps!
7. Original themes are also a plus. But if you can improve on an existing theme, it doesn't matter.
8. Versatility is also great. Basically, how much you can do to make a level look unique with the same tileset.
9. Of course art quality counts! I admit I prefer the 8-bit method, providing you know how to colour well.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

Last edited by Treylina; Jun 5, 2015 at 10:11 AM.