View Single Post

JCF Member

Hare has disabled reputation

Sep 24, 2012, 07:44 PM
Monoprice Tablets - Good Wacom alternative

I just got a new tablet recently, based on a search for a good Wacom alternative.

If you are looking for something on the low end, I really think this one kicks Wacom's butt. It is 50 bucks (USD). Shipping costs bring it up to around 60, but a quick google search on coupon codes chopped off most of the shipping cost. It has a good working area (10x6.25) and it feels about the same as if I were drawing with pen and paper.

The following images, I drew last night using Manga Studio 4 (Debut).

This next image, I was able to draw in a window on the side of the screen while I was watching YouTube. That's a luxury I didn't have with my old Graphire 3. I mean, I could try it but I would have to draw very very small.

Drawn with Gimp 2.4.7

The report rate is excellent. The tablet can keep up with very fast movements, no problem. Resolution-wise, it seems pretty good. Although the mouse movement can be a little shaky, it doesn't seem to have an issue when drawing. Gimp 2.8 is having issues that prevent you from using the tablet at all, but I read that it should be cleared up by Gimp 3.0. I have also come across issues when Gimp and Manga Studio are open at the same time.

But anyways, I figured I'd share a pretty good bargain. I know the cost of a Wacom can be very intimidating when breaking into digital art... Or when breaking your Wacom. (I severed the cord on my old one. No idea how it happened).

"Okay. I'm Understand" - burnout92