View Single Post

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 14, 2016, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
That's just so sad to hear. My respect for Jazz and Jazz 2 slowly went down, even though I just love Jazz Jackrabbit, the character itself. Let's just hope that one day, someone will take this character and make a great original game out of it. Jazz had and still has so much potential, what a shame people forgot about it.
I don't really mind the obscenities, I find them rather funny than rude. It just shows the developers' mind back in the day. They were young after all!
Don't listen to Gus. Jazz 1 is hardly a copy of Sonic; it shares gameplay concepts but the art is original and so are plenty of other things (like, Jazz having a gun). It's silly to read anything into the "Sonic with a Gun" title, as it belongs to a fan production that explicitly aims to recreate bits of the Sonic games (including copied graphics), something JJ1 didn't do.

The idea of MS-DOS being the "Internet Explorer" of gaming platforms is possibly even more ridiculous and just an example of Gus' personal crusade against the Jazz Jackrabbit games. Obviously the same goes for arguments such as "not all layers were used" or "there were less levels"; neither actually has any bearing on how enjoyable the game is. There's plenty to criticize in the Jazz Jackrabbit games, but these things are hardly relevant.

I also have a hard time seeing what was copied from Gus' screenshots. Sure, there are some thematic similarities, but there are only so many ways to depict a dungeon or stone wall.