View Single Post
Captain Spam

Retired administrator

Captain Spam has disabled reputation

Aug 13, 2003, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium
4) Use a font that's easy to read. *glares at CaptainSpam*
It's perfectly easy to read. You just have to know what it's saying. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batty Buddy
(Even though I pitch my Snooze and Mat idea to Keenspace, I never got a reply. I think I did it wrong)
Eh... heh, Keenspace has had... problems... lots and lots of problems. Scads of them. They're still fighting with approving requests from a couple years back, if I recall what they've said recently... if they haven't gotten back with you and you have SOME kind of comic in mind, ANY kind, then they're more than likely stalled for whatever reason. Or you tried to get a site name that's already taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid
Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to get a sample up ASAP. Keenspace sounds like a good host for my comic, but Captain Spam has a lot of rantings about it in his livejournal, so I'm getting doubts.
Lemme tell ya, Keenspace is quite frustrating when things go wrong... which they do with alarming frequency. It might be good for a start, but after a while, you'll be wanting something more.

As for general tips... a lot of what goes into webcomics is your own personal experiences as you go along. Trust me. Sometimes you need to make your own mistakes and figure things out before you know what's right.

But, for a few tips... let's see...

1. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DRAWING FIRST. In terms of characters and plot. Your drawing style will change over time, that's a given. But know what you're drawing and all first. Draw up a good backlog BEFORE you officially open the comic. I've seen strips get about two or three comics in and then suddenly die off from lack of ideas or energy. So know your own comic first.

2. Listen to your fans, but do not be slave to them. Once you do get people reading your strip, you'll most likely get people who want to give you all kinds of suggestions from them. Pay attention to them, but don't let them completely change the comic to their own ideas. This goes along with the first point; if you know what your comic is about, it's less a chance someone else will hijack it.

3. Talk to other webcomic artists. Trade links. Visit forums. Do guest strips. Do fanart. The webcomic world is NOT the same as the traditional art or comic world. Being open and communicative to others is expected of webcomic artists. Being cold and introvertive is not. Just make sure you leave time to draw your own comic.

4. Keep up with your schedule. Granted, it's very rare to find a webcomic with a perfect schedule (I can only think of one offhand), but you should at least try to maintain the schedule you choose. And, of course, choose a schedule you can keep up with. Try to build a backlog in case of emergencies. This brings up my next point...

5. Your fans will understand an occasional emergency. Don't fret if you've missed a day. I learned that the hard way. You DO want to keep up with your schedule, but dropping a day once in a while isn't the end of the world for your comic.

6. Do NOT get furstrated over lack of readership. If you're drawing a webcomic just to get readers, you're not going to make a good webcomic artist. You've got to be able to draw the comic for YOURSELF. You should draw the comic because you enjoy it, not because you want people to hang off you as fans.

7. Have fun doing it, geez. Don't take it so bloody seriously. This is supposed to be fun! C'mon!

Hope this all helps. Ask me if you need more help. Or ask other webcomic artists if you want second opinions.

The Dementia of Magic
... Somewhere between Tolkien and Monty Python.