View Single Post

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Apr 15, 2005, 01:49 AM
For multiplayer - Screw betatesters! Just host the beta version of the level online and see how it plays. Ask people to comment on things. Make observations yourself. Tweak level appropriately, then host again. The best way to test a multiplayer level is WITH multiplayer. If you are afraid of letting people see your unreleased work, then get over it. All of my best levels were tested publicly like this.

For single player - Find people you know and send the level(s) to them. Have them play through the pack and give as much feedback as possible, good or bad. Finding bugs is also important, but a good level shouldn't have many to start with. The important thing here is feedback so you can make the level better. Make sure you set a deadline for the testers, and bug them occasionally. Once you extract as much feedback as possible from them, make your adjustments.

Good, now you can repeat the process. Find new testers who haven't played it yet, and send the updated level. You can go with less testers this time around since most of the major issues should be resolved. Again, set a deadline and again try to get as much out of them as possible.

By then your level should be nearly bug-proof and highly polished with all that feedback. If not, either your testers failed to give you good advice, or you failed to listen to them. Or a combination of both.

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)