View Single Post
Nimrod

JCF Member

Nimrod has disabled reputation

Mar 31, 2008, 04:50 PM
Smile A Present from Digiex to the Community! Source :)

Digiex is proud to present a surprise to the Community of Jazz 2 Online.

As you may know, Digiex currently has a deal with Epic Games surrounding hosting the official Jazz Jackrabbit 2 List Server (list.jazzjackrabbit.com). Well as Digiex has become a commercial company now, we were looking into ways to expand our business portfolio and went into discussion with Epic Games surrounding taking over the List Server for Unreal Tournament.

This led to myself and Matt Hill (Insanenutter) from Digiex heading over to Epic’s HQ in North Carolina to discuss with Tim (webmaster) at Epic Games about taking it over. You may ask what we get from it, but the advert revenue based on the homepage the Internet Games Browser UT uses is massive and its very cost effective for Digiex to take over and allows Epic Games to focus on their resources on their new projects like Gears of War 2. You will see a press release about this soon on Digiex.net.

But the news that concerns you, while I was there I got to meet a few big players, like Mark Rein and Cliff Bleszinski and had a chat with them for a while. Cliff was very interested in talking to me about how the Jazz Jackrabbit community is going, he was honestly amazed about how the game was still going strong with a community. Anyways, while talking I brought up about the desire to gain access to the source code so us as a community could work on fixing some of the remaining bugs left in the game. He said he had no problem with that and would look into it. After that we sorted out business about UT list server which your hear about soon.

The weird thing is, two days ago I got an email from CliffyB, turns out he managed to find the source code and had attached it to the email. At first I thought to myself is this really it? I kept it quiet for a while, then spoke to Overlord who looked at it for me and confirmed it really is the source code for the version 1.20. It may not be the latest, but its honestly better than nothing!

Anyways, I was going to work with j2nsm and j2o about how to do this correctly, and then realized I really don’t think anyone deserves sole access to this, so I decided to share this with all of you.

You can download the source code at: http://jazz.digiex.net/source

If you honestly don’t believe it, just download the zip file and take a look. Also Overlord can confirm how real it is.

Stay tuned to J2o and Digiex.net as more information surrounding the source code and what’s possible will be talked about, but for those of you who just can’t wait, feel free to download and take a look now.

Happy Jazz’ing! And enjoy the Anniversary Bash when its up.