View Single Post

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 20, 2010, 11:35 AM
Reworder is respectful and will not open a passworded level unless you know and can type in the password. I spent some time learning from Overlord how passwords worked so that I'd be sure I had that right. The mode you're probably speaking of is explained explicitly as being there not to prevent people from looking at how your level works, but rather to ensure they don't accidentally press Ctrl+R. It's not that kind of security feature.

The thing is, there's no way to give someone a program to bypass passwords and ensure that they only use it on their own levels. Historically (there's that word again), if someone accidentally locks themselves out of their level, they get someone with password-removing tools to help them and demonstrate that it is their own work (usually through the level never having been seen before).

Anyone who doesn't believe in passwords is completely free to release their own levels without passwords. But if a level does have a password, that's because its creator wanted it to. We all have the right to want something made by someone else to be "open-source," but not to make it that way if the creator didn't intend it. Would we have to put another message on the J2O upload page warning users that any security they try to install in their levels may be compromised by folks who don't care about the preferences of the people who put the creative work into their files? And that several years down the line, this may happen to them?

Now, the original post listed not a program that removes passwords (we're already happy enough not to host TECJCS for that), but one that reads the password hash and comes up with a list of possible matches. This was cited as a personal challenge. That sounds fine -- people might well get a kick out of seeing the random strings that they could conceivably use to edit their own levels -- but they should prove they have the right to see that list by first proving that they do indeed know at least one valid password, presumably the one they input in JCS in the first place.