View Single Post

JCF Member

WhiteBlaster has disabled reputation

Aug 21, 2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Given the fact that there are instructions on how to remove passwords from JJ2 levels on this very forum, in addition to links to versions of JCS that allow you to open levels regardless of the password (or at least mentions of it clear enough for anyone wanting to find a way to download them), I don't think allowing a utility like this is a huge stretch.

People may be using the password they use for J2L files for other purposes as well but this utility would not reveal that very password (because it is not stored in the level file), only its CRC32 hash, if I recall correctly, and other text strings with the same hash. This hash is stored plainly in the level file anyway and is easy to look up for anyone in the posession of a hex editor reading the file format documentation on J2O. The only thing this utility would do is making this whole process easier.
Exactly! In fact I didn't even thought that it would have been a problem, since I personally found the instructions to bypass the passwording system on this very forum some time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglobite View Post
I also would imagine that finding out the password someone uses could be more of an issue than just allowing you to open their levels.
Don't worry too much about that... for 2 reasons:
  1. You put your levels online to be downloaded by anyone, and the password hashes (that means information uniquely connected with the password) with them. So, theoretically you share the passwords themselves with the others. Theoretically.
  2. Pratically, if you consider the number of possible passwords that can match a determinate hash, you obtain a number around 33765. ONLY CONSIDERING THE PASSWORDS SMALLER THAN 6 CHARACTERS! Yahoo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
But if a level does have a password, that's because its creator wanted it to. We all have the right to want something made by someone else to be "open-source," but not to make it that way if the creator didn't intend it.
I respect your way of thinking, Unknown Rabbit, really. But it's too late for this, and since a lot of time now. See above in this post. I wouldn't be going to upload the program otherwise!

There is a flame untamed
Deep in my heart
Unyielding, pure Ain Soph
'tis measureless
Our right divine:

Aspire to all horizons
To seek nature ov things
Retreat within yourself
To find the primal breath

Behemoth - Transmigrating Beyond Realms ov Amenti