View Single Post

JCF Member

djazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHART

Aug 14, 2009, 06:05 AM
So, this found I when I looked out the new html5 standard coming (hopefully) in a couple of years, but some features already exists (FF 3.5, more maybe):
HTML 5 for a better Web

Some parts of the site:
Quote:
- Drag and drop, copy and paste
Drag and drop support is also part of the HTML 5 specification. It is mainly based on the drag and drop support already available for a while in Internet Explorer. So the implementation of browsers that follow HTML 5 is compatible.

- Running heavy tasks on the browser using Web workers
[...] A better solution is to use Web workers. These are background processes that can execute a given segment of JavaScript code. The main process and the worker processes communicate via a messaging API.

- Responsive browser-server communication with Web Sockets
The XmlHttpRequest object (AJAX) allowed browsers to communicate with the server without reloading the page. However, when you want to send more information to the server, you need to wait for the response and setup a new connection to send a new request.
Web Sockets are meant to address this problem by allowing bidirectional communication within the same HTTP connection.
Sounds interesting, with this new features a online-collaborative-JCS would be made much easier. Let me hear what you think

EDIT1: Shouldn't this be on the JCS sub-forum?

EDIT2: Here is a web-worker example: http://www.whatwg.org/demos/workers/primes/page.html

EDIT3: I've uploaded the web-JCS so that you can try it out. Click here!
Level Packer v2 - With a GUI!
PHP Tileset Compiler

Last edited by djazz; Aug 14, 2009 at 09:00 AM.