View Single Post
Neobeo

JCF Member

Neobeo is an asset to this forumNeobeo is an asset to this forum

May 1, 2007, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
So what would be the use of macros and scripts in this format if they'd be lost when saved to .j2l?
I probably didn't explain myself to clearly. Let's say you have a hotel level and you created a macro called MakeNewRoom(guest_name) which automagically makes a new room at some location or other. My point is basically that when you load up the project file, this macro will already be stored in it, and available for use. As compared to just opening a J2L file, which has no scripts attached to it. Alternatively, all the macros/scripts could be placed in a global file. (Or EvilMike's response below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnish pro View Post
Is somebody even trying to do something to JCS?
Or are you just talking about those updates?
This will be a brand new JCS, if completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
I think this is a good idea and I basically assumed you would add something like this. However I have a few suggestions.

Instead of making the format in the way you are thinking of it, why not just have a simple auxiliary file which is loaded alongside the j2l file automatically? For example, you load "level.j2l", and jcs+ automatically loads a file like "level.j2l.jcs" or something. The .jcs file would contain all the extra data you mentioned, but would not contain any of the actual level data stored in the j2l file. This method would probably be easier to work with and implement into the editor. It would also be a lot simpler.

Also, depending on the complexity of the data, you could maybe even make the .jcs file human readable by storing it in a plaintext (maybe xml?) format. But that might not be practical.
I like this idea very much. At this point I have some concerns, mainly about the version conflicts (1.10, 1.23, 1.24). But overall I think the pros outweigh the cons, so I'd like to try and get this implementation to work.
Neobeo's Firetruck

</TD><TD>Myths:
Jazz Creation Station Plus (JCS+) - 10%
Coming soon - a dedicated server! - 25%
Jazz Sprite Dynamite v2 (JSDv2) - 2%
Another generic single-player level - 0%
</TD></TR></TABLE>