View Single Post
Splat

JCF Member

Splat has disabled reputation

Sep 4, 2019, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Jazz 2 fan View Post
Any recommendations on an accessible, easy-to-learn tool if you want to try out composing MODs? (Bonus points if it's on Android).

I would recommend that you could try OpenMPT {ModPlug Tracker} on Windows for composing with .IT format module files. There are other music sequencer programs, and other modular song formats, sure. Just recommending this because that's my normal setup for module music.

Another idea is you could try FamiTracker, it's also a Windows program, but is for making NES-style music files, which wouldn't be inherently compatible with JJ2. I've tried it a few times, but just a small fraction as much as I used ModPlugTracker. However, I've listened to some good music that people made with this proggie.

For Android? Can't say; at most with Android phone I found an app that could play maybe 1-2 module formats, IIRC, but not using it recently. For Iphone, there's an app called VividTracker -- I believe it makes .MOD file format.

Significantly, I'd mention that for music composers learning software for module song formats, developing a sample library is an important thing to do, in order to create modules effectively. In terms of module music, no samples means no sounds. There are a lot of free music instrument sample download websites, or downloadable virtual instruments, etc. These types of samples come in a variety of formats as well as qualities, audio file sources, durations, and other technologies incorporated into the files.

You just don't want to be notating music in your sequencer, and then you have to power the music box by cranking its gears manually, because you're lacking actual samples or electricity. You can also extract samples or virtual instruments from music files you might already have in your JJ2 folder, or you could make some samples yourself; there's an enourmous number of methods for making music in this way, just trying to post some semivital information about my experience being nonessential personnelle.