View Single Post
defalcon

JCF Member

defalcon has disabled reputation

Oct 5, 2002, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FreeLance
Oh my gosh. What the heck. His bandana is gone. However, I'm excited about this game. Bandana or not, it IS Jazz Jackrabbit.
Darn Straight.
Quote:
Change or no change, he looks as much like Jazz as noogy's version did. Okay, maybe that's stretching it. But still.
Yes, that is stretching it. To breaking point. ;P
Quote:
And at least they fashioned him after Han Solo, my role model for my persona in my early years of Jazz Jackrabbit (nocrap), and my all-time favourite movie character (save only Indiana Jones).
Is this Jazz Jackrabbit or Star Wars: Episode III? Honestly, the line is starting to blur. He's JAZZ JACKRABBIT! Not Han Jackrabbbit. Not Jazz Solo. Jazz 'bloomin Jackrabbit!
Quote:
The change of name to Dark Shell has (made me mad) though. I mean what's that all about? Devan Shell was Devan Shell. Gosh.
Exactamundo. He's Devan Shell. It's a name that strikes terror into the heart of bunnies everywhere. 'Dark Shell' sounds like a cheap Star Wars ripoff...oh wait, it is. ;P
Quote:
But still, let's be TRUE fans and except our Hero.
I'd have accepted it no problem had they not messed with it so much.
Quote:
Okay. Here's an idea. Imagine that this is a PREQUEL. That's right, a prequel of sorts. Where Jazz is not yet his rogue, roughian self, but instead a young, dashing Hero. Seriously, it makes sense. Not that they intended such, but you know.
No, it doesn't make sense. Did Deva - ahem, 'Dark' Shell fell obliged to change his name after a loss to Han - erm, Jazz? Or was he sued by LucasFilm? And I really can't imagine Han - whoops there I go again, JAZZ as a young, dashing hero.
Quote:
Does anyone know if Arjan was connected to the game at all? Or any of the original team? (original meaning JJ or JJ2, or even JJ3)
As far as I know, the companies that made this have no connections to Orange Games, Noogy, or World Tree Games. They probably don't even know diddly squat about JJ3, or TSF for that matter.
Quote:
Also, does anyone notice how closely the title screen resembles Noogy's art? His face and such, it has that kind of childish look noogy's art has. In fact, he actually looks a lot more like Lori's brother than she did his sister, if that makes sense.
It looks extremely childish...as if it were geared at 8-year olds. But no, Noogy's version of Jazz I like. This one...leaning in the opposite direction. Nobody messes with the bandana and blaster.
Quote:
And look at the carrot. It's short and stubby, like the JJ3 carrot.
Hm...the carrot is sorta twisted.
Quote:
I think that once it comes out we'll be able to judge just how Jazz it is. Let's not prejudge according to screens
Traitor.
Quote:
Originally posted by Nadine
I think that this is the first time that I've seen a character's new look become worse than it originally was. I mean, when Sonic's look changed I was a little upset at first, but I quickly liked it. Besides, it was very similar. Nope, this is far too different. They changed it too much! It's too Star Wars. And Star Wars is cool and all, but let STAR WARS be Star Wars, let Jazz be Jazz, and Devan be Devan.
YES. I agree wholeheartedly. It's Jazz. He's the personification of PC platform games. Don't make him Han Solo. And don't mess up Devan's 'evil genious' rep either.
Quote:
I mean, when I saw that new look I was kind of thinking that it would be cool for Jazz to get a new look and look cooler than before, but he doesn't need it, and he certainly has to have his bandanna!
Amen.
Quote:
I also think this must be a certain agreement with Epic. They didn't want to sell the licence and this new company could only make a game if it was changed around quite a bit. So, if this game doesn't do well, it will hurt Jazz more. If people don't like it and they are introduced to Jazz with this new look, they won't give him another chance and Jazz's future will be dead, AND because of this game, no way are we getting the source code for a while.
Exactly. EXACTLY. When I look at it I think 'Star Wars ripoff'. Heck, replace the Jazz Sprite with a Han Solo sprite (not that theres much of a difference as it stands) and you could slap on a Star Wars label and sell it. It could be good for Jazz, but I doubt it.
Quote:
And no Spaz? No Lori - well, I don't think I like her too much. It's not just her bad moves, her look is a bit too 'basic' for my tastes. I like Dean Dotrill's stuff, but for Jazz games I like Nick's style better.
No Spaz! Blasphemy! Heresy! Burn the unbelievers!
Seriously though, they probably couldn't make Spaz look 'Star Wars' enough. And I doubt they've even heard of Lori. Even if they wanted to use Lori they'd need Dean Dodril's permission, and they'd probably turn her ears into little buns on the side of the head and dress her up in a white outfit just like..you get the idea.
Quote:
Anyway, even the character sprites in the game don't look too good, not compared to in Jazz 2. They just seem to have a more basic, more blurry look to them.
Well it IS only a GBA. I like the look of the GRAPHICS, but the stuff they've done to the characters...
Quote:
And if they really wanted the whole Star Wars theme, they should have named the title to say something about that. Now n00bs will just associate Jazz Jackrabbit with THAT. Okay, how it PLAYS is what counts, but really - the look, WHY? WHY, WHY?
Precisely. IF they wanted a Star Wars game, they should have made a Star Wars game instead of remaking Jazz as Han Solo. And it could give the JJ series a bad rep, depending on how it's accepted by people.
And yes I agree: The look, WHY? WHY, WHY?
Quote:
The future of Jazz or the death of Jazz? We'll just have to wait and see.
If it does well then yay, but it also means we have to wait longer for the source. And that the average person will think of Jazz and say 'oh yeah, that Star Wars rabbit'.
Quote:
I mean, I AM happy to actually see he's really coming to GBA, but when I imagined the possibility, I had Jazz 2/TSF in my head, with deathmatch and co-op on the GBA. Then again I guess this will be more fun for me to play, because it's all new levels and things.
Yeah, I was hoping for a hybrid of all the JJ games as well.
Quote:
But you DON'T MESS WITH THE LOOK unless it's going to be even COOLER than before, which it's NOT. Sigh.
You really couldn't make Jazz look cooler. Nick Stadler's Jazz was funky, and Noogy's Jazz was cool. You don't mess with perfection.

WOOHOO! Long post and picky analysis!

Derby: Previous quotation edit.

Last edited by Derby; Oct 5, 2002 at 07:31 AM.