View Single Post
incandescentembers

JCF Member

incandescentembers is doing well so far

Apr 8, 2014, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Changing the levels is a very bad idea because you're gonna have different settings in level files that are otherwise the same, you're gonna end up with both levels using the subfolder and levels not doing so, and JJ2 will be confused and not know what to overwrite and what not and in general it's gonna be more of a mess if anything.
I don't think that would be such a big deal. There are a lot of lvls getting upgrades etc. Also when u use passwod removal it modifies the lvl file. Whatever you do. I just always overwrite the older version of the lvl with the newer one.

Quote:
JJ2+ could have a game-wide setting to look in a subfolder for music rather than the main folder
That's actually a very good idea.

Quote:
There's so many other options to filter music from the folder though... sort by file type, search, filter by extension, et cetera.
None of that really works...
Sorting by name -> music is mixed up with all the other files that is not music (JJ applications, j2t, j2l etc...).
Sorting by flile-type -> like I mentioned: there are too many filetypes of the music. s3m, xm, mod, it, 669, mp3, ogg, j2b.... You end up with 10 different sections of music files while sorting like that...

Quote:
And generally people use the original file name for module music; Jazz2Online actually takes advantage of this and saves only one copy of the file on its servers, even if there's a lot of uploads that contain it. Besides, how would you want to "standardize" this? Either you use the original filename - or the filename under which you originally acquired the song, at least - or you don't. In the latter case you're probably too oblivious to heed any such "standard" anyway.
For example, forest.it, the one by Alexander Brandon (because there are AT LEAST 3 different "forest.it" out there) is really a Carrotus Forest or Greenland. I named it "Alexander Brandon - Greenland (Carrotus Forest)". Problem with that is that the name now has more than 32 characters (which is another big issue), but it could at least be called "Greenland (Carrotus Forest)" so it would stay out of confusion with other music named "forest".