View Single Post

JCF Member

Darkhog is notorious for his worthless posts

Dec 3, 2017, 01:09 PM
Okay, so here goes my layout critique.

While the layout is workable, I think you should keep tileset, animated tiles, layer view and parallax view as separate, but dockable windows, so anyone can arrange them in whatever layout they prefer, including to emulate original JCS layout or put in the tabs if they want it that way.

For example, the way to add animated tiles is so obscure I couldn't really find it. In JCS it's easy: Find empty spot in the animated tiles window, click it and then ctrl+click the tiles for the animation. In MLLE? Hell if I know.

Anyway, that's just my critique. To sum it all up: You shouldn't force certain layout on people, but make it as flexible as it can be so they can customize it the way they prefer.

//edit: A suggestion: How about, for the events that have the associated graphic in it, like enemies, gems, etc., in parallax view the event could be shown as a graphic for that item, so you can see how the level would look like more or less with all items spawned without actually launching the game.

Another thing would be a built-in AngelScript editor with syntax highlighting so you can create and edit associated script for that level. A third-party editor for the Super Mario Bros X that is now bundled with SMBX (long story) does something similar.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
╲___) (___╱  TUX LOVES YOU.

Last edited by Darkhog; Dec 3, 2017 at 01:26 PM.