Thread: The Conquistar
View Single Post
Coppertop

Coppertop is doing well so far

Apr 18, 2003, 10:30 AM
Sorry guys, couldn't get on internet all week. Big part in compensation.

Udari was a favorite planet for tourists and honeymooners. It was a planet made for tourism. Everything was geared towards tourism. Unfortunately they were not tourists.
As such, Udari recieved plenty of odd characters. Thus even odd people like Claw and Kaz and distinctive people like Crystal, Defalcon and Electrik fit in. Copper was ignored - anyone who looked her way recieved a vicious look - KRSplat was unmemorable, Radium could blend in with any crowd (he was a shapeshifter after all), Acid was casual, Evaluator unseen, and Shonar was ... somewhere, anyway.
They made a great team, Copper thought once again.
Claw's much wished for vacation spot was not Udari. Udari was overpopulated, he complained, Udari was too busy, Udari was too tourist-oriented. Copper retaliated, by alternating between telling him to shut up and promising a 'vacation' to Holidayous next year. In return she recieved many dirty looks and dark mutterings from Claw, that ran along the lines of "when I get my hands on you".
Life would have been good had her other partner not been in the clutches of the enemy, busily hunting her down. Two of her current crew could turn traitor any minute (Radium and Electrik), one was just along for the ride (Evaluator), one was a few bricks shy of a load (Kaz), one just wanted adventure (Defalcon), two stayed with her out of loyalty (Claw and KRSplat) and one was unfathomable.
The last one was Crystal, and she was in her element, befriending tourists left, right and center, to surrepititiously pump them for information.
Radium, the unknown quantity, slipped through the crowd like a wraith (or a Chaos Mage), giving would-be troublemakers the Look and reading their minds while he was at it. Whether or not he also employed mind control could be debated, because nobody bothered him twice.
Defalcon had a small crowd of admirers, who listened intently as he regaled them with tales of his adventures. They made the right responses in the right places, and were the perfect audience.
Copper shook her head and laughed quietly. "Look at him," she said to Acid and Electrik. "He couldn't save it for the War Tavern."
Acid grinned. "He's like that in the Tavern, too. Anywhere he can get an audience."
"He's got one now," Electrik admitted. Acid nodded. Then he turned to Copper.
"Coppertop, I know you're not sure about Electrik. But I'm certain he's okay, now."
"Good. And?"
"We wanna blow some Kiyrenin up. Please?"
Copper grinned at the suddenly animated scientist. "Peace. You'll get your chance."
"But when?" he burst out.
"Soon. I'm turning the tables on our erstwhile friend Shinyso. He may know how I think, but I know how he thinks, and so does Radium and Claw. We've thrown him off. Now we get to go after him."
"Finally," Crystal added, coming up next to them. She pushed her blue hair out of her face. "That fight on Firen was just a skirmish. Now we get to do battle."
"Did I hear someone say 'battle'?" Defalcon said from behind them. He had excused himself from his followers to catch up with them.
"You did. Kaz and KRSplat know what I mean by battle. Just ask them if they remember the Deep Spacer. Or the Conquerer."
"Fighting every step of the way," Claw agreed, joining them from the shadows. "Every blow took someone out."
"I figured you'd recall, too. I knew you'd be lurking around here somewhere."
"Always. As you can see, I decided to forgo the tan."
"Of course. I hope you don't regret it."
"I probably won't. So now that we've thrown the Ninja off, where to?"
"I was hoping you could help me with that. Where would Shinyso go?"
"Medivo or Tubelectric," Claw said immediately.
"Probably Tubelectric," Radium agreed, ghosting out of the crowd. "More energy."
"I should have known you'd turn up. Where's Kaz and KRSplat?"
"Kaz has found some like-minded companions - that is to say, birdbrained. He was attempting to teach them his version of manners."
"I see. Sounds like Kaz. Birds of a feather flock together, after all."
"Truth," Radium admitted, sounding slightly Shadorian for a moment. "KRSplat I have not seen."
"I have," Evaluator said, half-materializing next to them. "He's in a spot of trouble. Care to assist?"
"Sure. Acid, got your rocket launcher?"
"Always."
"Here's your chance to blow someone up. Lead on, Eval."
"Sure thing."
They moved through the fringes of the crowd, working their way towards the other side of the crowded plaza. A street led off like a spoke on a wheel, shaded by the large blocky buildings that rose on either side of the narrow road.
Just inside the mouth of the alley (it hardly qualified as a "road") was KRSplat, and three young street toughs. Two had vibroblades, and one had a blaster pistol. None of them had touched KRSplat yet, but not for lack of trying.
They came in behind KRSplat. Acid grinned.
"Not Kiyrenin, but almost as good. KRSplat - duck!"
KRSplat dropped to one knee, and Acid fired.
A moment later there was noting left except a smoking crater and a sizeable hole in the wall.
Unfortunately they had attracted some attention. Evaluator vanished, Crystal, Defalcon and Claw melted away into the crowd, Electrik and Radium managed to look like startled pedestrians. Copper poked Acid in the ribs.
"Nice going, ace."
Acid shot her a look and made a show of inspecting his launcher. "I can't believe it misfired like that! Good thing you weren't in the way, huh, buddy? A timely trip." He stowed his launcher and helped KRSplat to his feet. "My profuse apologies. Here, lemme buy you a drink ... "
"What happened?" Defalcon demanded, coming out of the crowd. He was the very picture of indignation. He flashed a quick grin at Copper though.
"His rocket launcher misfired," Copper explained. "Lucky for this guy that he tripped."
"I didn't trip," KRSplat protested. "I'm not that clumsy. I saw a credit on the ground and bent to pick it up." He held up a credit; the dark blue rabbit was totally believable. "Gave me a bit of a scare though."
"I can see it would," Acid said. Defalcon grinned at him, having satisfied the curiousity of the crowd.
"Sure."
The crowd began to drift away, and Copper began to breathe again.
"Quick thinking, Acid. Good thing you dropped, eh KRSplat?"
"Yeah. Pasted on the wall ... "
"Hope not," Radium said. "You okay?"
"Yeah. I take it you've been planning."
"You guessed right. We're off to Tubelectric."
"Again?"
"Again? We haven't been there yet! You not anticipating a wild, chaotic ride through the wind tunnels?"
"Anticipating, yes. With enjoyment, no."
Radium snickered. "Chaos is good."
"For a Chaos Mage, maybe. The rest of us like a little organization now and then."
"I know. That's what makes you all so incomprehensible."
"If you say so," KRSplat said dubiously. "Where's Kaz?"
"Holding court with a bunch of birdbrains, teaching them manners."
"Yeah, that sounds like Kaz. How about the rest of them?"
"We're here," Crystal said. Claw joined her.
"I'm hanging around," Evaluator's disembodied voice said. KRSplat grinned.
"Sure. I'll bet you are. Thanks for getting Copper and Acid - especially Acid."
"Any time."
"Of course ... if you say so ... "
"Sure I do."
"Right," Acid said. "When do we start?"

Not too much action, but more will happen later.