View Single Post

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jun 17, 2005, 05:42 PM
Arrow ToU Part 3! Come join in before it becomes 40 pages!

Welcome! Friend, foe, and forumer to what will (hopefully) be the last installment of… Tales of Uberbob! If you haven’t played, this is a great time to join in (knowledge from the past threads can help, but is not in any way needed). What is Tales of Uberbob? Well, it’s kind of like an interactive story. I write something, and you respond with what you want the main character to do. For instance, if I say “You find a box”, you can respond “Open box”, “Lick box”, “Say hello to box” or anything in between, to which I will respond “a headcrab jumps out of the box and devours you.” Make your responses clear and detailed, as so I have enough to work off of. Again, if you haven’t played, this is a great time to join in. If you are returning, there may be some occasional changes here and there. Araches has a hat now. Don’t argue. Some base rules:

Only Radium narrates. It’s his story. You just give commands. No using bold, either. It makes it confusing.
GOOD: Walk through the green door.
BAD: Shuriken walks through the green door.

No deciding the consequences to actions. My story. Not yours.
GOOD: Open the box.
BAD: Open the box and find a gun.

No if/then statements or macros. They make you miss important stuff. Making creative macros to solve puzzles with mass trial and error is cheating.
GOOD: Is the key in the door?
BAD: If there’s a key in the door, open it. Otherwise, find a key then open it.

No changing the point of view. It changes on its own.
GOOD: I am not changing the point of view!
BAD: Change POV to Uberbob!

Battle System
You ever have one of those days when the guy that just killed your whole family is coming to town to get you next, you see him, and suddenly it’s like your whole world turns into a 5 by 8 grid? Well, this is where it helps to know your battle system. A lot has changed since the battle system in the original thread. This isn’t “required reading” to play in Uberbob, but if you want to partake in battles it helps to know this stuff.

Each turn a character can either move or defend (not both). You can move the number of spaces indicated by your movement. If you move into an enemy (or ally), you will attack them (ending the moving character's turn). Defending will use all a character’s movement points that turn but cause them to take half damage.

Spells work differently. Each character can only have one good status effect and one bad status effect on them. If a character already has a beneficial status effect, another one will override it.
Each team can only cast one spell per turn, and casting it will take it off your spell list. The character that the spell belongs to (the spells are color coded) will take double damage if attacked that round. You can negate this by defending when casting a spell.
Summon spells can summon a character anywhere. Specify where when casting the spell. Additionally, you can move the summoned character the same turn they are summoned. You won’t know their movement when you give the command, but you can assume it is at least one, so it shouldn’t matter.
EDIT: Also, spells do a constant damage, no matter what the unit's defense state is.

So, a standard combat command would be like:
Shuriken: N, N, NE
L33tz4n: W, SW
Summon Water Elemental right above Stratn.
Water Elem: South.

Last edited by Radium; May 17, 2006 at 12:58 PM.